Custodian (5116C) 1920 - 1920
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 16, 2019
The Department of Recreational Sports (Rec Sports) is a campus leader and educator, inspiring the entire university community to engage in an active and healthy lifestyle that fosters wellbeing and a sense of community.
Rec Sports provides student and non-student members high-quality recreational experiences with unlimited access to multiple fitness facilities and swimming pool complexes, hundreds of instructional fitness and outdoor classes, and opportunities for participation in team sports through Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs.
Custodial Operations - 75%
- Perform cleaning, housekeeping and/or general maintenance of Department facilities. Cleaning includes but is not limited to cleaning carpets and floors, removing dust, sanitizing telephones, restrooms, shower and locker facilities, cleaning windows and mirrors, walls, counters, sinks, cabinets, removing trash and debris, emptying receptacles, clearing drains, removing graffiti, blight work, etc. Facilities vary from public restrooms and gymnasium floors at RSF to the gymnastics facility at Clark Kerr and the locker room at Haas Clubhouse. Replace light bulbs as needed.
- Operate equipment such as vacuum cleaners, buffers, carpet shampoo machines, Hillyard C3 cleaning companion, floor scrubbing, and polishing machines, etc.
- Utilize cleaning materials and chemicals in a safe manner consistent with directions for use as prescribed by Material Safety Data Sheets, labels, and directions.
- Utilize "universal precautions" techniques in the event of cleanup of body fluids and possible blood-borne pathogen contact. Document potential contact.
- Secure facilities as appropriate at conclusion of cleaning.
- Perform routine tasks per oral instruction, written check list, directions, etc.
Special Events and/or Preparation - 15%
- Perform clean up, custodial and light logistical support for special projects and Athletic Recreation events. Projects and events include but are not limited to cleaning restrooms or other areas during a home football game, preparation of an office area for staff relocation or move, clean up and set-up of furniture at a facility (e.g. RSF Atrium) preceding a reception or cleanup of aluminum bleachers at Evans Diamond.
- Assist in set-up and takedown of equipment for special events including Caltopia.
Leadership/Teamwork - 10%
- Oversee student maintenance workers and work crews. Provide leadership to student work groups in completing work.
- Ensure safe working conditions and implement health and safety policies, and as appropriate, personnel policies in the daily work setting.
- Communicate with other staff and the general public in a professional manner, and be a positive public relations influence for the unit and the entire department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Facilities Coordinators.
- Twelve months of experience cleaning men's/women's locker rooms and gymnastics mats and equipment.
- Skill and ability to operate a wide variety of custodial equipment including Hillyard C3 with proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and follow oral/written instructions provided in English.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in custodial work; and to follow safe work practices.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively as a part of a team.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with the campus community including students, staff, building managers, academic personnel, craft personnel, and co-workers in a diverse environment.
- Ability to meet job objectives in a timely, safe and efficient manner.
- Twelve months of experience in a custodial cleaning operation; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary range of the position is $18.87
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1920&PostingSeq=1