The Office of International Student Services at the University at Buffalo invites applications for the position of International Student Advisor.
In this position, you will:
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the university’s F-1 student program and J-1 Exchange Visitor program
- Advise international students and academic departments on immigration matters related to F and J statuses
- Interpret complex U.S. immigration regulations and policies/procedures concerning F/J immigration benefits.
- Support orientation, cultural adjustment, co-curricular engagement, advocacy, and professional development programs.
Your functional responsibilities are expected to include:
- Managing J-1 Student programs; including non-degree and student intern.
- Facilitating the sponsored student application process
- Supporting other related duties, as assigned.
Offering over 300 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs, the University at Buffalo (UB) has the distinction of being one of the nation’s Top 25 institutions hosting international students. A premier research-intensive public university, UB is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) and is SUNY’s most comprehensive public university.
The university seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to maintain the excellence of the university. Visit our website at www.buffalo.edu to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s degree and two years of directly related work experience
Directly related work experience must involve work with international students, and may include work in international student services, student counseling, academic or immigration advising, or related areas.
Excellent spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers. Excellent organizational ability, detail orientation and customer service orientation.
US Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency is required as is mandated by federal regulations.
This position includes occasional non-standard (evening/weekend) work hours.
Employment in this position will be contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and any other information required by federal or state law, and University at Buffalo policies, including the completion of a criminal history check.
Master’s degree in a field related to international education or student services. Experience working in an International Student Office at a U.S. college or university. Demonstrated knowledge of F-1 or J-1 immigration regulations. Experience using Sunapsis.