HR Supervisor (7700U), BEARS Service Region, Berkeley Regional Services - 27419
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
Application Review will begin on August 15, 2019.
Berkeley Educators & Administrators Regional Services (BEARS) - a unit of the UC Berkeley Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration - provides reliable, high-quality administrative support to the Chancellor's, EVCP, Vice Chancellors', administrative, auxiliary, and other units that support academic excellence at UC Berkeley. Not only is BEARS the largest service region, it supports the largest variety of personnel positions in realizing UC Berkeley's mission of teaching, research, and public service.
Partners with key clients in the BEARS Service Region, including campus academic and business leaders, to best support their particular department/unit HR needs; including:
- Support assigned resources in managing the unit relationship, developing unit specific profiles and knowledge base materials.
- Provide strategic HR consultation across BEARS and with specific client units, education, and support to client management to resolve the most complex and sensitive issues concerning staff and the organization.
- Interpret Labor Relations agreements and provide strategic and tactical consultative guidance for up to 16+ different and complex bargaining units across the BEARS Region.
- Conduct complex employee and management investigations, prepare written reports and recommend action following investigations.
- Supervises a staff of HR Generalists who are responsible for managing relationships and coordinating HR service delivery to assigned client groups. Ensures that CSS HR internal communications are conducted in order to manage client requests to resolution.
- Partners with key department/unit contacts and tracks service nuances, policies and procedures to support development of unit-specific profiles/knowledge base materials.
- Provide strategic HR consultation, education, and support to client management to resolve the most complex and sensitive issues concerning staff and the organization.
- Assists assigned resources with work schedules and assignment of appropriate tasks including the delegation of client requests from the queue. Partners with key department/unit contacts and tracks service nuances, policies and procedures to support development of unit-specific profiles/knowledge base materials
- Supports implementation of methodologies to improve service levels, manage client perceptions, and build strong client relationships with client teams.
- Trains and instructs staff to perform assigned tasks.
- Responsible for creating a work environment that is inclusive.
- Working knowledge of personnel policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- Has demonstrated strong experience in handling employee relations cases in higher education environment.
- Must have previous experience supervising full time staff
- Has experience in handling labor relations cases in a higher education environment.
- Ability to gain working knowledge of the UCB campus and has knowledge working with HR information systems.
- Communicates effectively with a diversity of communication styles.
- Makes decisions regarding work assignments and scheduling of subordinates.
- Maintains an understanding of the unit goals and how this position supports those goals.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Licenses or certifications:
Salary & Benefits
- SHRM or other comparable organization certification/training as a Senior HR Business Partner highly preferred
This position is an exempt, monthly paid position. Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $95,000.00 - $115,000.00
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27419&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1