Lifeguard Position at the Koret Health & Recreation Center
Full Job Description:
JOB TITLE: Lifeguard
DEPARTMENT: Recreational Sports Department (RSD)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Aquatics Director
The Lifeguard is responsible for the safety & maintenance of the aquatics program at
the University of San Francisco (USF).
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain the safety of the patrons in and around the pool
2. Represent the office of RSD in a professional attitude
3. Communicate & enforce all RSD regulations and pool rules in a personable and
4. Communicate any potential dangerous elements of the facility to the Aquatics
5. Be a liaison between patrons and the Aquatics Director.
6. Must comply with industry standards for safety and participation.
7. Certifications in Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid & AED.
8. Must be able to recognize & respond effectively in emergencies in accordance with
facility emergency action plans.
9. Work as a team with other lifeguards during daily hours, drills and special events.
10. Create a productive learning environment to ensure growth of the individual as well
as the University.
Job Activities to Include:
1. Attend all scheduled staff meetings and inservice trainings.
2. Handle all incidents in a manner appropriate to their training.
3. Be able to respond to an emergency and contact EMS/activate EAP.
4. Complete all reports as needed
5. Read the weekly schedule and set up the pool for various activities such as lap
swim, classes, and trainings.
6. Pool maintenance as assigned.
7. Perform patron surveillance from the guard stand.
8. Remain alert and use all senses while guarding.
9. To assist with collation of information and entries as necessary ensuring that all
records are kept on database and information is disseminated as directed.
10. To assist in ensuring that all waivers, memberships and insurance forms are kept up
to date and maintained with the RSD.
11. Other duties as assigned by the Aquatics Director and approved by the Senior
Director of the RSD.
Hours may vary due to semester school schedule. Ideally 10-20hours per week.
You will report directly the Aquatics Director within the RSD.
Significant Decision Making/Influence
Certifications, and trainings current and practiced.
- A minimum of two weeks of sport specific conditioning.
- Practiced a minimum of two days during the week in which the swim meet is set.
- The individual's skill level meets and/or exceeds match participation.
There is a need to adhere to:
1. General Health and Safety of the facility.
2. The post holder will be able to refer matters to the Aquatics Director on a daily basis
as necessary, for advice, guidance and consultation.
3. Attendance for assigned shifts.
There is a need to adhere to:
1. General health and safety as it pertains to swimming.
2. Record keeping
3. Patron protection.
4. Injury reports and prevention.
Records and Reports
Daily activity and participation reports/record keeping are expected. The post holder will
compile and record information, results, entries etc. All records and files need to be kept
and communicated with the Aquatics Director.
Proposed budget and accountability of any allocated budget is the responsibility of the post
holder. This is to include but not limited to cost of safety equipment, and other expected
Education and Experience
The post holder is expected to have a swimming specific qualification and relevant
experience. The post holder should be able to carry out the range of duties satisfactorily.
It is essential that in your application/resume you give evidence or examples of your proven
experience in each of the following appointment criteria including the competencies.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
1 Qualification in sport, leisure or related field *
2 Experience of playing or working in swimming *
3 Lifeguard experience prior *
4 Flexibility to work irregular hours *
1. Overcomes obstacles or refers problems to managers.
2. Displays sensitivity, tact and diplomacy in all situations and reacts flexibly in
responding to rapidly changing circumstances.
3. Record, monitor and analyze information appropriate to swimming.
4. Organizes the storage of information in an effective and accessible manner.
5. Develops and maintains effective working relationships and demonstrates ability to
work in a team.
6. Able to implement plans and is constantly aware of progress as it adheres to health
& safety requirements.
7. Provides concise information and advice in clear and explicit manner.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Koret-Lifeguard_R0001433.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.