Science Tutor (Full-time)
American International University – Kuwait City
for the 2021-2022 Academic year
American International University (AIU), located in Kuwait, invites applications for a full-time Science Tutor to provide guidance to students on fundamental and advanced dimensions of the sciences. Science Tutors help students overcome the obstacles and frustrations that may arise from the inability to understand and successfully apply scientific principles. The ideal candidate will possess content knowledge on a myriad of scientific concepts and can successfully transfer that knowledge to students.
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Success, Science Tutors provide one-on-one and/or small group tutoring for students in the Student Success Tutoring Center. Tutoring is primarily facilitated through pre-booked sessions. However, drop-in sessions must also be maintained to promote additional access to tutoring services. Working in concert with faculty and instructors in the sciences, this individual provides support for AIU students at all program levels and is responsible for promoting scientific mastery on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate skill-based tutoring in all levels of science courses offered.
- Help students master course material by coaching them to independently complete their assignments.
- Develop and identify resources to tutor students and build scientific skills.
- Keep accurate records of tutoring attendance by course.
- Utilize excellent communication skills, enabling him/her to relate with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Support university and department initiatives.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Help students prepare for quizzes, tests, presentations, etc.
- Evaluate students to measure skill progression and determine improvement areas.
- Ensure awareness of The Tutoring Center’s free services through the website, social media, and digital signage presence.
- Coordinate and collaborate with tutors to offer engaging workshops and events to further engage students in the AIU community.
- Maintain a neat and orderly workspace.
- Arrive early to meet with students at pre-scheduled times.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in the sciences or related field.
- Teaching or tutoring experience.
- Experience using technology to teach/tutor.
- The equivalent of the above will also be considered.
Preferred qualifications include experience teaching/tutoring English-language learners and/or international students.
- Experience in maintaining open, daily contact with administration, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to provide consistent, excellent customer service to all within the AIU community.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be able to work with diverse populations.
About American International University:
AIU is a new institution of higher education in Kuwait whose first student cohort was admitted in fall 2019. It is a private, co-educational institution offering undergraduate degrees based on the American model of higher education, including a comprehensive general education curriculum. Through its educational and student services programming, the University serves the intellectual, cultural, and personal growth of all members of its community. AIU offers degree programs in Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and Business Administration where the language of instruction is English.
For more information about AIU visit: www.aiu.edu.kw
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit the Job Opportunities section of our webpage and submit your resume and cover letter: https://aiu.edu.kw/careers/jobs