Dr. Irene Georgakoudi’s Optical Diagnostics for Diseased & Engineered Tissues (ODDET) Lab within the Tufts University Biomedical Engineering Department focuses on the development of optical spectroscopic imaging approaches to monitor and characterize biochemical and morphological aspects of tissue in non-invasive ways. The work relies heavily on optical instrument development and quantitative data analysis approaches that often involve modeling and understanding of the detailed interactions between light and biological matter. We aim to empower the success of our researchers to become leaders in their fields.
What You'll Do
This is a grant funded position and is not eligible for severance pay.
The ODDET Research Assistant will perform optical imaging and analysis studies to assess the safety of human tissue illumination with very short, but very intense pulses of near-infrared light before we can use such light to perform imaging in living human patients.
- Acquisition of high-resolution microscopic images from excised and in vitro human tissues and excised and in vivo animal tissues
- Analysis of acquired images using Matlab and/or python with algorithms that have been developed
- Tissue preparation for acquisition of spatial -omics data
- Preparation of material to secure approval for human in vivo studies based on acquired results
- Presentation of results to team members
- Collaboration with graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, other scientists, members of the FDA and clinicians involved in the process
- Attends mandatory annual training sessions in fire safety, chemical hygiene, and laboratory HIPAA compliance
- May participate in training of new employees and students as needed
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills typically acquired by a BS degree in basic science or engineering, biomedical engineering, bioengineering, or related field
- Good analytical/quantitative skills
- Some cell, tissue culture, or microscopic imaging experience
- Ability to work accurately, effectively, within a team and independently under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly self-motivated
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Motivation to learn and grow in scientific expertise
- Ability to trouble-shoot technical issues
- Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities
- MS degree in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, materials engineering or related field
- Research experience with evidence of some level of independence
- Research experience in an academic lab
- Ability to read scientific literature and adapt/design new protocols
- Accurate, detailed data and record keeping
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.