This role is a full-time, academic year (40 weeks) role with a base hourly wage of $19.45.
An open position exists in Tufts University Dining Services reporting to the Chef Manager of Carmichael Residential Dining for a Second Cook. This is an Academic Year position that will be responsible for preparing and presenting menu items for a commissary & dining operation. The Second Cook will work both as a part of a team and independently by following established guidelines and recipes to ensure a consistent high-quality product and exceptional service.
What You'll Do
The Second Cook will prep, prepare and finish a variety of menu items for service following established preparation guidelines and department recipes in quantities forecasted and planned in advance by management using various cooking methods and a variety of food preparation equipment. Will garnish and present finished menu items appropriately. S/He completes all assigned work to meet meal service deadlines following department and industry standards for quality, sanitation and batch cookery. S/He will be flexible and use sound judgment to reduce or increase food quantities prepared based on customer demand. S/He may prepare and present foods in customer service areas, serving and interacting with customers in a friendly, courteous and professional manner. The Second Cook will work as a team with other culinary employees to prepare planned meal service, follow the directions of senior cooks and provide guidance and mentorship to less experienced cooks. The Second Cook will be responsible for the cleaning, sanitation and general upkeep of food preparation equipment and work stations and works in accordance with food safety guidelines and completes service records accurately as assigned. Must demonstrate the ability to work under periods of fast pace and high pressure.
What We're Looking For
- At least 3 years of experience in a culinary production operation.
- Able to read, follow, understand and execute recipes and follow written and verbal directions precisely.
- Experience and proven competence using a variety of food preparation equipment and applying various cooking methods.
- Experience working independently in a logical, efficient and productive manner.
- Must be able to read, follow, understand and execute recipes and follow written and verbal directions precisely.
- Must have a pleasant demeanor, enjoy working with people, be a team player and be committed to customer service.
- Must speak, read and understand English.
- Associates Degree in the Culinary Arts is preferred.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity