Performs in a specialized custodial role incorporating routine maintenance and/or partial team leadership into regular custodial services. Blends routine cleaning with projects that may occur at multiple locales such as major cleaning, facility structural and fixture repairs, furniture assembly and fitting, and assistance to skilled maintenance specialists.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Custodian, Senior is a senior-level position in a career path for custodians. The Senior Custodian is given responsibility for cleaning, repairs, moves, and assembly at one or more locale. The Senior Custodian requires two years in a Custodian II position or equivalent and additional knowledge or capability in one or more of these areas: team leadership, structural, fixture, and minor equipment repair, and/or part of a multi-site specialty team, e.g., flooring. Advancement to this level is based on the needs of the campus or locale.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Cleans, dusts, and disinfects office, meeting, classrooms, and restrooms and fixtures to the District's quality standards. Removes trash and waste. Cleans trash receptacles and replaces liners. Ensures that towel, soap, cleanser, and other dispensers are stocked.
* Cleans public entry areas including, but not limited to hallways, stairways, lunch, office and meeting rooms. Cleans and disinfects drinking fountains, door handles, and door push plates. Cleans floors and baseboards, vacuuming, spot cleaning and wet mopping on a regularly scheduled basis.
* Maintains safe and clean walkway and grounds surrounding the area of assignment. Picks up litter. Removes debris, including ice. Empties and cleans outdoor trash urns.
* On a regular schedule, cleans and washes desks, tables, counters, furniture and fixtures, inside/outside windows, coverings, light fixtures, walls and ceilings, mirrors, and other related items. May oil or polish woodwork, paneling, wood furniture, and metal fixtures.
* Strips, seals, and refinishes hard floors on a pre-scheduled basis. Steam/dry cleans and shampoos carpets and fabric furniture.
* Assists the skilled-trades areas of carpentry, plumbing, and other crafts. May perform maintenance duties of Skilled Maintenance Specialist on an intermittent basis for purposes of training and experience.
* Performs servicing and maintenance to fixtures. Makes minor plumbing adjustments such as unclogging toilets and sinks, tightening toilet seats, adjusting of drinking fountains, cleaning water jets to enhance flows.
* Performs painting and varnishing of walls, doors, rooms, buildings, parking lots, and other surfaces. Prepares and finishes surfaces to comply with applicable building codes, District standards, and the usage or exposure of the surfaces.
* Assembles, adjusts, and repairs furniture. Moves furniture and stage platforms including those used for special events and activities. Refinishes furniture. Hangs wall coverings.
* Constructs, fabricates, assembles, installs, repairs or replaces items such as doors, partition walls, signs, desks, counters, shelves, and shelf units. Assists in the construction and remodel of temporary and permanent buildings and structures. Glazes and fits windows.
* Replaces light bulbs, switches, receptacles, ballast, and may assist with wiring and cabling of electrical and communications lines.
* Secures internal and external doors, ensuring that windows and lights are locked and off. Activates alarms, notifying occupants when the building is closing.
* Ensures that containers for cleaning and other products are properly labeled. Ensures that Material Safety Data Sheets for assigned areas are up to date.
* Maintains current knowledge of, and follows proper safety precautions for use and handling of cleaning materials and chemicals. Checks fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and other items for proper functioning or stock.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.