Assists in directing the daily operations of the outdoor recreation program (Auburn Outdoors) within the Department of Campus Recreation. The Auburn Outdoors program consists of four primary areas: Equipment Rental Center, Bike Maintenance Shop, Climbing and Bouldering Walls and student staff development, education and training.
1. Manages and oversees creative outdoor education programming and special events to include developing policies and procedures; answering inquiries; leading and coordinating the outdoor recreation trip program; managing the outdoor equipment rental center, managing the climbing wall facility by providing constant oversight to ensure safety and organization.
2. Oversees the scheduling of outdoor recreational activities such as outdoor adventure trips with student staff and participants multiple times each semester, outdoor recreation and educational classes and special events such as climbing competitions.
3. Oversees the development, implementation, and monitoring of short and long-range plans for a program or operational unit, consistent with the mission of the university and goals of the Division of Student Affairs. Creates a strategic planning process to shape and organize the outdoor recreation program as it relates to facilities, operations, outdoor education programming, staff development, special events, clinics, seminars, and marketing strategies.
4. Creates and evaluates a risk management plan for all components of the outdoor education program and ensures alignment with the departmental plan.
5. Ensures that policies and procedures for assigned programs are followed by the creation and maintenance of program operation manuals associated with student employment, outdoor recreation trips program, outdoor equipment rental center, bike maintenance shop and climbing wall facility.
6. Provides training for all student staff and professional staff. Recruit, hire, train, schedule, evaluate, and mentor student staff in each component of the Auburn Outdoor program area; track and oversee payroll for student employee; develop staff training classes and seminars to teach and enhance competency skills for employees; provide innovative and positive leadership to all participants and staff involved with the outdoor recreation program.
7. Works with other units on campus to provide development opportunities for Campus Recreation full time and part time staff and students. Collaborates with different departments on campus (Housing, First Year Experience, Aquatics Center) to provide unique and educational programs to expose the university community to outdoor recreation opportunities.
8. Participates in the development and administration of the departmental budget by collecting and maintaining comprehensive participation and financial records for semester and annual reports (trips, climbing wall, rental center, special events) and monitoring all spending activity dedicated to the outdoor program for trip expenses, equipment purchases, student staff wages, and travel and program supplies.