Organizational Consultant, Business Process Management Office (7394U) 27430
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 19, 2019
The Business Process Management (BPM) office provides portfolio and project management, process improvement, and change management services to ensure alignment and accountability of strategic projects in support to the Vice Chancellor of Administration and associated units, including the newly-formed service-delivery regions.
The BPM Office has been assembled from existing project management, business process improvement, and business transformation personnel to offer a comprehensive look at the organizational improvement efforts happening in the VCA Division.
The Organizational Consultant's role in the BPM office involves assessing organizational and strategic issues and providing guidance through organizational development solutions such as:
- Facilitating assessments
- Strategic planning
- Culture-change and process-oriented approaches to enhance institutional performance.
The Organizational Consultant consults with leaders, departments, and committees to address root causes of organizational effectiveness issues using a systematic approach. This role will also analyze current organizational purpose, structure, relationships, policies, systems, and data, as well as recommend and facilitate improvements ensuring alignment with organizational strategy.
This is a contract (temporary) employee position with access to certain/full UC benefits, depending on duration.
- Independently selects methods and techniques for obtaining appropriate resolution.
- Involves assessing organizational and strategic issues and providing guidance through organizational development solutions such as facilitating assessments, strategic planning, and culture-change and process-oriented approaches to enhance institutional performance.
- Consults with leaders, departments, and committees to address root causes of organizational effectiveness issues using a systematic approach.
- Analyzes current organizational purpose, structure, relationships, policies, systems, and data.
- Recommends and facilitates improvements ensuring alignment with organizational strategy.
- Assesses medium to complex situations or problems, identifies desired improvements, works with clients to address identified issues and implement improvements in alignment with organizational strategy.
- Addresses questions, concerns and consulting engagements for large or more complex units.
- Applies organizational development concepts to perform complex analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and/or resource allocations.
- Participates in professional development activities to continue to develop and hone skills in process improvement approaches and techniques, portfolio management strategies and project management and assessment.
- Has thorough knowledge of process redesign and application.
- Knowledge of the consulting process to effectively lead engagements from inception to conclusion.
- Experience working in large matrixed environments.
- Experience in managing and executing complex projects.
- Demonstrates strong analytical, problem-solving, project planning and implementation skills.
- Possesses strong consulting, relationship building, and strategic thinking skills.
- Applies strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates skill consulting to managers and groups at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to learn quickly, reason, synthesize and generalize based on information obtained.
- Possesses sound judgment and the ability to draw unbiased conclusions.
- Ability to focus on priorities, strategies, and vision.
- Ability to coach, facilitate and influence people at all levels.
- Ability to persuade through both logic and appeal to positive motivations.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
- Change Management certificate strongly preferred.
- Certification in an industry accepted business process improvement methodology strongly preferred.
- Project Management Certification strongly preferred.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27430&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1