Desktop Support Supervisor (7561U) 7280
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 13, 2020.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
- Manages desktop support team to provide excellent customer service to campus clients when delivering IT service fulfillment, incident resolution and other IT projects in an efficient and effective way.
- Provides assistance and direction for complex IT infrastructure or enterprise application problems that are escalated by Service Desk consultants or other ITCS areas.
- Monitors service level agreements with clients and ensures that client requirements are met.
- May have direct management responsibility for mission critical IT applications or services.
- Oversees incident and service request management to help identify and restore interruption to IT and business services for CSS IT clients, conducts root cause analysis for common problems and proposes solutions.
- Manages customer service experience of clients and acts as primary liaison to clients within designated campus satellite zone.
- Assigns tasks of varying complexity, checks work and maintains schedules.
- Ensures effective handoffs between ITCS, Unit IT, Central IT, vendors and client populations.
- Escalates out of scope incident types to appropriate parties.
- Supervises portions of projects related to business/technical support issues such as coordinating a team to upgrade implement campus-wide infrastructure or software upgrades.
- Recommends hiring of new employees, salary actions, terminations, and performance ratings and performs annual performance evaluations of ITCS support staff.
- Participates in developing and monitoring operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for ITCS operations.
- Conducts root cause analysis of common problems and recommends solutions.
- Recommends changes in policies and procedures to improve efficiency and enhance effectiveness of functional area.
- The ability to effectively manage a diverse group of employees.
- Welcomes differing skills, outlooks, and experiences of others working toward shared goals.
- Has a substantial knowledge of service desk/desktop support practices and associated support technology, including Automated Call Distribution Systems (ACD), and ticketing systems.
- Has knowledge of related principles and concepts to provide solutions to more complex and diverse campus wide infrastructure services and applications support-related issues.
- Must have effective conflict resolution and strong communication skills.
- Requires ability to communicate highly technical information in a clear and concise manner to both technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Position requires strong analytical skills.
- In depth experience in one or more technical areas including:
- Voice business equipment and infrastructure
- Network infrastructure
- Email and mailing lists
- Web hosting
- Business applications
- IT Security
- User account authentication
- Knowledge base technology
- Help desk ticketing software
- Online calendaring
- Telephone switch programming
- Collaborative tools
- Mobile devices
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7280&PostingSeq=1