Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Desktop Support Technician
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Desktop Support Technician
IT Infrastructure - Desktop Services
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Assist in activities that support WPI ITs Desktop Services and Endpoint Systems Management operations and the community by utilizing project and technology platforms such as SCCM, JAMF, Cherwell, Microsoft 365, and other WPI collaboration tools. The candidate will use a cross-collaborative approach and perform on-site, in-house, and in-person technical support for hardware, software, and other technology platforms that support the security of and demonstrates WPI ITs user-focused approach.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Install, repair and upgrade WPI equipment which includes: hardware, printers, servers, and peripherals.
- Participate in and support systems and process management by learning and implementing ways to use Power Query, Power Shell, or other scripting tools.
- Utilize the asset and change management tracking system to process assigned requests and provide status updates in a timely manner.
- Configure desktop and mobile devices for use on the corporate network, including installation and configuration of supported software and communication technologies.
- Provide printer needs assessment, ordering and deployment services
- Maintain and upgrade devices located in campus computer labs.
- Assist in the hiring, training and supervision of work study personnel.
- Provide additional technology consulting services to students, faculty and staff, as needed. Provide excellent customer service to all members of the WPI community to maintain and improve user satisfaction.
- Provide telephone support as needed.
- Provide backup support for the Service Desk as needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Associates Degree or equivalent with a minimum of one year of related experience required.
- Demonstratable interest and knowledge in coding and scripting concepts and/or entry-level coding/scripting experience to support various systems and platforms.
- Ability to effectively diagnose and resolve hardware and operating system issues.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills are essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively with users of varying levels of technical competency is a must.
- Proficiency with supporting current versions of Windows and Mac mobile and desktop hardware, software in a networked environment.
- Advanced knowledge of PC and Mac hardware/configuration and network access issues.
- The ability to use and configure productivity software and support, such as MS Office, virus protection, e-mail clients, and other communication technologies or associated support platforms.
- Proficiency with supporting printers including ordering, deployment and support.
- Experience interacting with 3rd party support vendors.
- Demonstratable technical certificate skills such as A+, Network+, Security+, or coding/scripting certificates.
- Routinely moves computer/printer equipment weighing up to 60 pounds across campus for the various classroom, office, and event needs.
- Constantly positions self to install computer equipment, including on top of, under, and around office furniture.
- Experience with Unix/Linux, Ticketing/Asset Management Systems, scripting, coding, and project management tools.
- A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Desktop-Support-Technician_R0001975
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |