IT Service Manager (0531U) 28385
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Berkeley IT believes in and fosters a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the Berkeley IT community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
The IT Service Management team in Berkeley IT Campus Applications & Data - Applications Administration Unit leads and supports service management practices and processes across Berkeley IT and the One IT community. Areas of focus include supporting strategic efforts to mature service management across the organization, supporting governance and prioritization processes, assisting service teams in planning and implementing service optimization initiatives, and supporting a community of practice around service management.
This newly formed team will build on and extend service management maturity efforts, benefitting the organization through service support and common culture, and benefitting our campus clients through improved focus on campus requirements and more effective processes.
- Develops and supports the Berkeley IT Service Management Roadmap, including coordinate efforts of groups and individuals, supporting the service catalog, generating and presenting planning and strategy materials, advising and presenting to groups and individuals on upcoming efforts, guiding and working with local service managers to collect and disseminate information, and leading or participating in roadmap projects
- Develops and supports processes and best practices related to management of IT services, including creating and maintaining process documentation, developing and delivering training materials, generating and updating web content, and advising groups and individuals use and prioritization.
- Leads or supports projects to advance and improve service management capabilities on behalf of local service teams, service areas, and/or the broader organization. May include complex feasibility analysis, project planning / schedule management, and project team leadership.
- Leads or supports IT Service Management governance and community processes and events, including providing logistical support, tracking and reporting on key metrics, managing agendas, scheduling presenters, presenting information, tracking outcomes, and reporting on progress.
- Engages in professional development and training activities that are relevant to this job description.
- Experience leading project or service teams
- Knowledge of best practices for managing IT services, including the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Demonstrated ability to manage IT services, including service definition, design, delivery, and transition
- Experience working with governance or steering committees, advisory boards, or other complex decision-making groups or processes
- Knowledge of business process analysis, and the ability to translate business needs into technical requirements.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- ITIL Foundations
- Agile / Certified Scrum Master
- Knowledge of technical disciplines such as software development, database management, infrastructure, technical support or other IT functions.
- General knowledge of common IT service management and development frameworks such as LEAN, Agile, CObIT, TOGAF
- Experience supporting technology in institutions of higher education.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive."
May consider the option for fully remote work for qualified applicants, with the ability to come on campus when needed.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to 12/28/2021
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=28385&PostingSeq=1