Student Accounts within Business Services at the University at Buffalo is seeking a Senior Staff Assistant (Assistant Bursar) to work closely with various university departments who have a vested interest in student retention by ensuring that student’s finances are in order. This position requires a self-starter that will be required to perform the following duties:
- Programming the set up for multiple student billings throughout the year in both PeopleSoft and QuickPAY
- Analyze each of the billing jobs and review the results prior to sending to QuickPAY
- Analyze bills once in QuickPAY make certain they populated correctly
- Establish statement / message that will appear on each student bill – various with each cycle
- Send notifications to staff, listservs with regards to progress of billing cycle
- Establish yearly billing calendar
- Troubleshoot issues that arise throughout the entire process from start to finish
- Act as point of contact for Athletics, troubleshooting issues that arise
- Assists the Bursar in programming the tuition and fee assessment within PeopleSoft
- Have an operational understanding of the business processes associated with PeopleSoft Student Financials.
- Assist in testing when new releases come out
- Be the primary person to create the Communication Generations that come from Student Accounts
- Work on the implementation of fees throughout the entire process
- Be a point of contact for our third party vendor. Lead the testing of upgrades the occur
Comprehensive Fee Waiver:
- Work with the Resource Planning office during the fee consultation process, attend meetings and update the website with waiver statistics
- Complete and submit documentation to technical group with updated information for the automated waiver process
- Manually run queries and analyze the results to identify students who should not have a waiver
- Assist clerical staff with processing requests
- Be a part of a rotation for the refunding process
- Act as the primary point of contact for the multiple alternative loan options and handle all of the questions relating to these loans between Student Accounts and Financial Aid
- Assist in processing loans when needed
- Must have a thorough understanding of the process for each loan vendor and the workings of each for Student Accounts and Financial Aid roles
- This position supervises (1) Office Assistant 2 and (3) Office Assistant 1
- Meet with staff on a regular basis, provide feedback and annual performance programs and appraisals
- Act as next point of contact when needed to handle billing questions that arise and are escalated up to supervisor
- Academic Withdrawal – this position plays an intricate role in this process, when a student submits various documentation to leave the university for multiple reasons, this position works to make the final financial decision following specific SUNY guidelines
- Student Persistence, Residency, Leaving UB and others as needed
- Lead meeting on Critical Issues between Student Accounts and Financial Aid
- Serve as a presenter during orientation for new students, parents and transfer students
- Participate in multiple Open Houses throughout the year
- Serve on the Student Accounts leadership team
- Oversight of Student Accounts staff as needed.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, finance, accounting or a related field.
Two (2) years of related experience in a financial setting (i.e. billing, collections, accounting, financial aid, finance, or budget). Proven ability to work in an environment controlled by federal, state, and/or institutional guidelines. Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills. Computer literate in Microsoft office software, particularly Excel and Access applications. Prior supervision experience.