Registrar Specialist (6157U) 17329
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 26, 2021
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier's office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Provides routine guidance and information regarding UC Berkeley Extension academic and administrative policy to current, prospective and former Extension students, staff and instructors regarding enrollment, registration, grading, and student record policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Coordinates resolution of student inquiries and needs that require collaboration and/or engagement with other UC Berkeley Extension offices or resources.
- Conducts follow up on students' behalf as needed. Escalates more complex issues to unit lead.
- Facilitates communication between students and UC Berkeley Extension academic departments as needed to maximize effectiveness, student success, and retention.
- Act as primary point of contact and support for third party enrollment management.
- Provides departments and partners with template documents and directions to facilitate student account creation, enrollments, billing and grade submission for partner agreements.
- Collaborates with academic departments to ensure accurate and timely delivery of enrollment information.
- Processes imports related to third party account creation, enrollment, and grades in UC Berkeley Extension test and production student information environments.
- Reviews templates and associated student data as received from third party partners and manages formatting in compliance with Extension's student information system.
- Assists in developing and implementing registrar core functions related to online courses, enrollment services, student experience and exam administration.
- Works to optimize various administrative processes related to student experience.
- Drafts and clearly communicates proposed alternatives to Director and impacted other units.
- Ensures that proposed ideas meet UC, state and federal guidelines.
- Maintains all storage and recorded information related to the discovery and implementation of online proctoring.
- Provides ongoing operational oversight to University Extension's online course exams.
- Ensures highest level of adherence to and execution of institutional rules and procedures.
- Monitors and tracks timely resolution of student, proctor and instructor issues related to online course exams.
- Serves as team lead for Student Services and trains all administrative support staff across Student Services, working with online course exams to promote excellent communication and process support to all affected parties.
- Manages correspondence and follow up concerning outstanding student account balances for discounted University of California Alumni enrollments.
- High level of ease with computer application programs and platforms, including reporting, and advanced level of comfort with office platforms.
- Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to politely and effectively communicate with students, staff, and instructors, both verbally and in writing.
- Skills in active listening, critical thinking.
- Ability in problem identification, reasoning.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Active listening skills, customer service orientation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest and evidenced background in optimizing efficiency.
- Extremely sound and reasonable judgment in resolving issues, concerns and possible student conduct concerns or staff performance issues.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply complex student service policies, UC standards, Federal guidelines and other related rules or regulations.
- High level of evidenced integrity and character. Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn UC Berkeley Extension academic and administrative policies, relevant federal regulations, and best practices for accurate student record-keeping.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University policies, processes, and procedures and of Federal and California laws pertaining to the privacy rights of students and access to student information.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply working knowledge of UC Berkeley Extension and University policies to individual situations in a diverse learning community.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 12-month, full-time (40-hours per week), renewable contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=17329&PostingSeq=1