Biomedical engineering is a discipline of growing importance in society and is a vital and growing part not only of the Boston area but also of the whole US territory infrastructure – industry, academics, and hospitals. Established at Tufts University in September 2002, the Biomedical Engineering Department is located in the Science and Technology Center (4 Colby Street, Medford, MA), a state-of-the-art research and teaching facility, which also houses the cutting-edge interdisciplinary research activities of the Tissue Engineering Resource Center.
What You'll Do
Under the close supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Assistant will work on projects involving nanoparticles and application of light and sound energy for cancer diagnosis and therapy in the iBIT Lab. This position is part of an interdisciplinary team with expertise in tumor biology, biophysics, imaging, nanotechnology and cancer therapeutics.
- Set-up and prepare routine and specialized in-vitro and in-vivo experiments as directed such as 2D cancer cell culture and 3D spheroid culture
- Performs advanced procedures such as Gene/plasmid transfection, immunohistochemistry assay, apoptosis studies, flow cytometry, genotyping, qPCR, RTpCR, Western Blots, ELISA etc
- Develop research study design and techniques in collaboration with the Principal investigator
- Assist with establishing lab protocols, write-up, and updates of general lab activities
- Analyzes and interprets data, drawing conclusions which are subsequently depicted graphically using tables, graphs, and charts
- Writes the research summaries and material for presentations and publications
- Maintaining animal protocols
- Maintaining any relevant or appropriate databases
- Specific experimental assistance as needed
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of a Masters degree in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, biology, cell and molecular biology, pharmaceutics or related field with greater than 2 years of related laboratory experience with scientific publications.
• Research experience in an academic lab, cell culture techniques, molecular biology techniques (western blots, ELISA etc) and fluorescence imaging is a must
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly self-motivated; ability to work in a team or individually; excellent attention to detail. Flexibility to work on various projects.
• Must be able to prioritize urgent tasks while ensuring established deadlines are met.
• Experience with nanoparticle fabrication and handling lab animals is a plus.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Experience with Adobe Illustrator, MATLAB is a plus
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic about research in the cancer theranostics field.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.