Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Director, Office of Technology Commercialization
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Director, Office of Technology Commercialization
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Office of Technology and Commercialization (OTC) manages patents, copyrights and trademarks, and works with faculty to advance commercialization opportunities. The office also acts as an industry gateway to innovation WPI, matching faculty with start-ups, midsize companies, large corporations and non-profit organizations to bring WPI-led discoveries to the marketplace. OTC's mission is to help WPI researchers, staff and students identify, protect, and commercialize innovative intellectual property; to foster innovation through startup accelerators, seed funding, and other entrepreneurship programs. In addition, OTC is responsible for fostering long-term public-private partnerships through licensing or technical opportunities, corporate alliances, and other opportunities for collaboration.
The Director of OTC, reporting to the Vice Provost for Research, manages a small team of tech transfer professionals and plays a crucial role in managing all aspects of WPI's intellectual property (IP) portfolio. The position provides strategic direction, advice and training on all aspects of intellectual property and technology commercialization to faculty, staff and students.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Facilitates the identification, sharing, and commercialization of innovative technology and intellectual property created through WPI's research and development activities.
- Establishes processes to identify promising technology and IP with potential for commercial application and startup formation; works with/creates advisory boards and technology evaluation panels to facilitate review of inventions and promote collaboration and innovation.
- Responsible for patenting, marketing, and licensing of promising WPI discoveries; supports the development of startup companies; implements strategies to create revenue income through commercialization.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with faculty, staff, and students and facilitates collaboration between researchers; educates them about intellectual property and technology transfer; helps them understand the best ways to commercialize their innovations.
- Develops relationships with entrepreneurs, potential licensees, partners, and investors; supports collaborative research with industry and assists researchers in securing funding to advance research with commercial applications.
- Collaborates with other offices, e.g. The Office of Sponsored Programs and The Office of the General Counsel, on issues around funding and licensing with industry and liaises with other WPI innovation programs.
- Develops tech transfer-related goals and associated metrics and provide regular reporting on progress to leadership.
- Plans, coordinates, and develops policies and programs, and is responsible for the overall administration of OTC, including implementing policies and programs and handling personnel, budgeting, reporting, and other administrative matters assigned to OTC.
- Leads the OTC staff to be a collaborative, high-performing team that delivers superior customer service to WPI personnel.
- Graduate degree in a STEM discipline or business
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a technology transfer role in academia or in a related function in industry
- Knowledge of intellectual property rights and protection.
- Experience in legal matters related to research and technology transfer, including negotiation and management of technology license agreements.
- Ability to work well with faculty, administrative leadership, staff, and students. Ability to foster relationships with external parties.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively - to present ideas, both in writing and orally, in an understandable, non-technical manner, with internal and external constituencies.
- Team player; client-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively with a variety of constituencies
This is an on-campus/hybrid position that offers an exciting opportunity to lead and contribute to WPI's technology commercialization efforts. By fostering innovation, managing IP, and fostering strategic collaborations, you will play a pivotal role in driving WPI's advancements in the technology landscape.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Director--Office-of-Technology-Commercialization_R0002500
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |