Sports Nutrition Intern (5171U) - 27307
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 1, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Sports Nutrition Intern who will work within the department's Sports Nutrition unit.
The University of California Berkeley Athletic Department is currently accepting applications for 1 Sports Nutrition Intern for the Fall 2019 semester. This is a part-time paid position. This opportunity will allow the intern to gain experience working in collegiate sports nutrition by assisting the Sports Nutrition staff with overseeing grab and go and managing volunteers. Hours may include early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Under direct supervision, learns to apply professional concepts to develop, plan, organize and administer athletics programs, operating procedures and guidelines.
- Assists department Sports Nutritionist with developing and running a Division 1, Power 5 sports nutrition program.
- Maintains grab and go by assisting with inventory, storage, budget, and additional operational activities
- Employee will proactively monitor consumption of products and make recommendations to staff on future products and ordering.
- Learns to maintain and analyze departmental database and prepare reports and analyses.
- Assists with developing sports nutrition plans for teams and athletes.
- Includes developing training table menus, cooking demos, recipe development, preparing grocery lists, and developing educational materials.
- Qualified candidates should have an understanding of food safety, inventory standards, organizational skills, follow directions and meet deadlines, strong work ethic and dependable, and leadership skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
- Working toward RD.
- Servsafe certification.
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 10-month, 16-hours per week, temporary (Contract) appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27307&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1