The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Data Engineer position within the Information Technology Services Department.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
Medical, dental, and vision options
Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Data Engineer position will consistently evaluate, maintain, and build out critical data pipelines and architecture in partnership with Enterprise Data & Service team members, specifically concentrating on the Institutional Data, Analytics, and Reporting team. They will work closely with the Data Governance Strategic Committee to execute the overall vision as well as make recommendations based on understanding of Institution’s data fabric. Bring structural order, adaptability, and visibility to an everchanging data environment. Ensure data quality methodology and processes are followed through reporting and other systematic data management methods. Ensure data structure and platforms are systematic and scalable to untimely create a high-performing data lake in the future.
The individual in this position must be passionate about data integrity, data structure, real-time data processing, advanced analytics, and working in cross-functional teams. Have strong communication skills as they will work with many campus partners.
1. Data Management: Execute and maintain scalable, consistent and systematic data management pipelines that support data operations for the Institutional Data, Analytics, and Reporting team and be part of the Enterprise Data & Services department overall vision. This can include working on projects concerning various reporting or analytics tasks, data architecture structure, re-evaluating systematic data-management systems, and managing visual metadata platforms.
2. Data Transparency: Contribute to the transparency of the Institution’s data by being a point person to inform and communicate any new data available (sources, views, tables, etc.) as well as changes to metadata definitions previously established to the Institutional Data, Analytics, and Reporting team and periodically the Enterprise Data & Services department or campus partners. Create detailed documentation for processes and methodologies used for knowledge sharing and historical record keeping. Identify and correct inconsistencies with metadata documentation.
3. Data Consistency: Establish consistency across data fabric by collaborating with various departments to develop automated and cohesive data entry processes. Use systematic methodology to catch bad data being used for reporting, analytics, ETL, etc.
4. Partnership: Collaborate with the Institution’s Data Governance Strategic Committee to ensure strategic vision is executed. Provide recommendations and direction to partners regarding data structure and data-management.
5. Teamwork: Develop and maintain critical datasets for use in the data insight and analytics function; serve as a resource and backup for other members of the office, contribute to ongoing office activities through data extraction and troubleshooting. Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of Data, Analytics, and Reporting.
B.A. or B.S. degree in computer sciences, engineering or a related field
At least three (3) years of relevant professional experience with data-management (data pipelines, data architecture, metadata management, system automation, data scalability, data clean-up, etc.)
Worked with large relational databases and performed ETL projects using SQL/PSQL or other coding language
Master’s degree in computer sciences, engineering, or related field,
Experience with Oracle database administration and Graphical Database languages, and systematic metadata management tools.
An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.