The College of Health and Public Service (HPS) at the University of North Texas, distinguished as one of the few Tier One research universities designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), prepares graduates to address diverse and complex social issues such as aging, disability, disaster management and recovery, criminal justice, health disparities, and public safety, and find solutions to challenges in public administration, public health, and urban design. We have seven academic departments with undergraduate and graduate programs, the Center for Public Management, the UNT Speech and Hearing Center, UNT Workplace Inclusion & Sustainable Employment (WISE) and a number of professional development and clinical training programs to facilitate careers to address a global society.
HPS students are trained to lead nonprofits, become educators, researchers and professionals who strengthen the diverse communities we serve with thoughtful, inclusive and equitable practices as audiologists, behavior analysts, city managers, emergency managers, health care administrators, public safety administrators, public health specialists, rehabilitation counselors, speech language pathologists, social workers, urban planners and more.
The Department of Public Administration within the college houses undergraduate degrees in Nonprofit Leadership Studies and Urban Policy and Planning. In addition, the department offers a highly ranked MPA program and doctoral program. With 12 faculty and two staff members, the department is an active unit that values student service, externally funded research, and engaging communities of stakeholders to support the public good. The department initiated the Civic Engagement Learning Lab to support this mission.
The Department of Public Administration Senior Administrative Specialist is responsible for overseeing the full range of activities in the main office. The person in this position ensures the orderly and efficient implementation of all office procedures and encourages customer-centeredness in all interactions. This position provides staff support to the faculty, students, and alumni in the department.
Bachelor’s Degree and three years of highly responsible and varied office administration or business management experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Knowledge of accounting/budgeting procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to handle multiple tasks, and to coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data of complex
nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and organize multiple programs and assignments effectively.
- Ability to work on complex and confidential tasks utilizing judgment, tact, and resourcefulness.
- Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned
- Supervisory skills.