The University Bursar's Office has oversight of all financial records and transactions for all current and former students. The Office is responsible for timely and accurate billing, collection and accounting for all student related revenues, payments and receivables; receipt of all student loan disbursements and issuance of student refund checks in compliance with Title IV Cash Management regulations; maintenance of student receivables and bad debt reserves at predetermined levels of acceptability. The Bursar's Office establishes, maintains and publishes student financial policy; reconciles all related P/S accounts; manages MBTA monthly and semester pass programs; processes departmental cash receipts, petty cash payments, and research study vouchers. The University Bursar's Office is committed to providing a high level of customer service for student, parent and staff customers in executing the above responsibilities.
What You'll Do
The Bursar's Office Representative job involves processing student and third-party payments as well as departmental deposits on the Medford campus. This includes checks, cash and wire transfers. The position also researches inquiries from departments concerning their deposits to their General Ledger accounts and from students regarding their payments and student account.
- Processes all student and third-party organization payments in SIS through the online cashiering system, Transact. Assuring PCI compliance on credit card payments.
- Processes all departmental deposits for the SMFA and Medford campus following Tufts cash handling policies and procedures, assuring accurate posting to the General Ledger.
- Responsible for Remote Deposit Capture to multiple Bank of America accounts and reconciling payments to the deposit and Transact at the end of each day.
- Responsible for the security of cash and the vault and assuring the accuracy of the cash pickup each week for deposit to the bank.
- Handles wire transfers for students and third-party organizations and sends foreign checks for collection, coordinating with Treasury.
- Process returned checks and fines to students’ accounts and communications to owner of the returned check.
- Responsible for the tracking of student cash payments and the filing of the IRS Form 8300 for amounts over $10,000.
- Electronic approval and application of petty cash to students based on University policies.
- Provides customer service to staff and students concerning deposits and student payments.
- Serves as a backup to the Assistant Bursar.
What We're Looking For
- High School diploma required.
- One to three years’ experience in Cashiering required.
- Good customer service, excel and word skills, priority-setting skills, experience with ERP systems
- Three to five years’ experience preferred in higher education Cashiering
Minimum $25.80, Midpoint $30.95, Maximum $36.10
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.