Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Livestock Production Specialist II
The role of the Division of Animal Resources (DAR) is to facilitate research and teaching with animals at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. The Tufts Farm and Laboratory Animal Medicine Service (LAMS) are integral units of the DAR. We maintain teaching and production herds of many common agricultural species including dairy heifers, beef cattle, horses, small ruminants, poultry as well as several other lab animal species. In addition to providing an opportunity for hands-on instruction and skill development of students in the professional DVM curriculum and many outside students, the Farm is also a faculty research resource. The Farm provides high quality animals for research, teaching and for market.
What You'll Do
The Livestock Production Specialist II is a vital member of the integrated team responsible for the care of animals in the DAR and assists with field crop production. The team works closely with the faculty to train veterinary and other students. We support a growing and sophisticated research program.
As a Livestock Production Specialist, you will be responsible for:
- Farm animal production (horses, sheep, cattle, poultry etc):
- Cleaning, feeding, and watering animals daily.
- Receive, properly identify, transport, handle and restrain animals by appropriate techniques.
- Report animal problems immediately to the veterinarians.
- Follow SOPs, regulations, and guidelines to promote animal health and welfare.
- Follow health and safety policies by complying with established procedures and regulations to promote personnel safety.
- Specialized tasks include but are not limited to operation of farm machinery, artificial insemination, biological sample collection, research support and nursing care of sick animals under veterinary supervision.
- Additional responsibilities include assistance with field crop management and working with the veterinarians to administer health programs for all species such as programs of routine vaccination, de-worming, specimen collection and health surveillance etc.
- Lab animal husbandry and care (dogs, cats, swine etc):
- All Farm employees are cross trained to take care of various lab animal species that belongs to LAMS, so that they are able to fill in for their colleagues when needed.
- Record keeping:
- Under supervision of farm manager and veterinarians, create and maintain applicable records of animal examination, provisional diagnosis, laboratory testing, treatment, and response to treatment for ill animals.
- Assist with scheduling of shipments, coordination of health certificates, invoices, and other required documentation.
- Document and maintain daily animal census.
- Support instruction of DVM and other students in humane animal handling, performance of basic veterinary procedures and animal husbandry.
- Must participate in weekend and holiday rotational coverage.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
The schedule for this role will include 1 weekend day plus weekdays totaling 40 hours per week and holiday coverage as needed
What We're Looking For
- High school degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience with livestock husbandry and production, breeding, including manure handling, livestock restraint and handling.
- Working experience with horses and other livestock.
- Interest and enthusiasm for teaching and research
- Enthusiastic, customer-oriented attitude
- Computer skills, including MS Excel, MS Word.
- AS/AA or higher in Animal Science, Business or other relevant field
- Advanced training or experience with labortary animals highly desirable.
- Flexibility and skill in a fast-paced environment
- Experience artificial insemination of cattle.
- Experience with farm equipment including skid steers, tractors, pay loaders, balers, rakes, mowers, tedders and planters.
Minimum $26.40, Midpoint $31.40, Maximum $36.40
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |