The Office of the President is seeking a Communications Specialist to assist with drafting, researching and editing correspondence and talking points; and preparing presentations, briefing materials and various other communications as part of a comprehensive presidential communications strategy.
In consultation with the Director of Presidential Communications, the Communications Specialist helps to coordinate the flow of daily communications work and facilitates timely production of presidential documents, presentations, web content and other communications materials.
The successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communications skills, design capabilities, and the ability to exercise sound judgement, flexibility, and sensitivity to a wide range of university constituencies and audiences.
- At the direction of the Director of Presidential Communications, coordinate various communications tasks including the outgoing communications schedule and workflow, assisting with finalizing a high volume of routine presidential correspondence; respond to correspondence requests from various university offices.
- Operate as a project manager coordinating the completion of communications and research tasks with communications and administrative staff; facilitate daily management of communications tasks to ensure timely production of these items.
- Draft correspondence, remarks, background material, and other presidential copy.
- Support content development and maintenance of all presidential website communications while leveraging opportunities to establish a robust website presence.
- Collaborate with office staff, university departments, and external offices to gather relevant input and information from these sources into communications projects.
- Coordinate editing and proofreading processes with communications staff to ensure efficient and precise production of material.
- Assist with the design and preparation of PowerPoint presentations and slides, remarks, and research materials for the president.
- Research issues pertinent to the president’s correspondence, briefing materials, and public presentations.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
A minimum of 1 year of professional writing required. Primary background in research and writing is essential, as are impeccable writing and editing skills and a thorough understanding of stylistic issues. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and design capabilities are critical to this position. Competence in utilizing Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is required.
In addition to significant professional experience with written communications, experience with slideshow presentation development, web content management, and document and presentation design are also preferred.
Familiarity with a university setting is highly desirable.