Facilities Office Manager, Letters & Science (7709U) - 20514
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 23, 2021
The intellectual heart of UC Berkeley, the College of Letters & Science (L&S) is the largest of the university's 14 colleges and schools and the most prestigious teaching and research unit in the UC system. L&S encompasses more than half of the campus's faculty, three-quarters of its undergraduate students, and half of its Ph.D. candidates.
L&S takes students on the academic adventure of a lifetime by exposing them to a vibrant, broad-based liberal arts education at the highest level of excellence. Our students engage in dialogue with the world's best teachers and its most distinguished researchers and scholars. Together they participate in projects at the forefront of science, solve pressing social problems, create art, explore diverse values and cultures, and seek answers to the biggest questions of our times.
L&S offers students a choice of more than 80 departmental majors (link is external) as well as vast opportunities to study and conduct research both within and outside of the traditional disciplines. By encouraging students to pursue their curiosity in a multitude of areas, L&S sets its graduates on a lifelong path of learning and personal growth.
- Independently coordinates the recharge self certification process, including developing rate proposals, establishing budgets, calculating labor costs, operation overhead, equipment depreciation, other expenses, subsidy, and any adjustment for prior year operations.
- Reviews recharge services to ensure that the services are necessary and are not readily available from other campus units or outside sources.
- Monitors recharge center's financial performance (both internal and external sources).
- Ensures the center operates within tolerance, and in accordance with its budget. Identifies, investigates, analyzes, and resolves overdraft or surplus situations.
- Processes monthly recharge and financial journals, via Excel upload when possible.
- Tracks expenses, maintains recharge database, and reviews and validates ledger activity to ensure that billing is accurate, timely, and adequately documented in accordance with the Recharge Billing Policies and Procedures.
- Submits timely expense reports to recharge customers.
- Manages departmental Mini-Project program.
- Issues work authorizations to subcontractors and issues payment upon completion.
- Monitors project costs and budgets and advises management accordingly.
- Monitors financial status of department-related maintenance, repair, and construction projects, from beginning through completion.
- Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed.
- Reviews and approves entries in BearBuy and the Berkeley Financial System (BFS) by program staff.
- Reconciles funds using the campus reporting system and identifies and initiates adjustments required.
- Reviews invoices for accuracy and compliance with university policy and determine the appropriate course of action, such as reimbursement and vendor payment, noting any irregularities and deciding how and when exceptional cases should be resolved.
- Brings cases to the attention of leadership when necessary or when higher authority is required.
- Reports on budget, expenses, and finances to the Director and at the request of the Director to stakeholders.
- Operates independently to advise managers and program staff on university policies, procedures, and financial strategies to ensure that operations comply with University policies and procedures (in areas such as payroll, personnel, reimbursements, accounting, and general finance).
- The position is responsible for all aspects of fiscal close for a variety of funds including state, campus, recharge, and gift funds.
- Resolve year-end overdraft balances as necessary, process year-end inventory journals to book inventories for the recharge center.
- Act as the Departmental Safety Coordinator for the LSDO and the Building Coordinator for Durant Hall.
- Thorough knowledge of finance policies, practices, and systems.
- Ability to independently gather required information to organize, and perform financial analysis assignments.
- Proven ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Proven ability using spreadsheet and database software for complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports.
- Proven interpersonal skills with peers throughout the organization; strong service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail.
- Proven ability using organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to function as a member of a team.
- Thorough knowledge and ability to quickly learn and understand internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20514&PostingSeq=1