Organizes and conducts tests, data analysis and validation, and other research steps following predetermined or standardized testing/research methodologies. Organizes and coordinates tests of research work and data provided by others, verifies significance and quality of data, and participates in preparation of validation reports.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Research Associate is the second level in a career path for education data collection, research, and test validation. The Research Associate will learn and apply clearly defined program and research design procedures, conduct surveys, design data structures, and analyze statistical information. Research Analyst requires at least three years of experience at the equivalent to an Analyst, expanded knowledge of research procedures, the ability to design and coordinate program steps to meet standards and outcomes, ability to perform difficult academic assessments using statistical inferences and research literature prepared by others, and coordinate preparation of data driven reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
The Research Associate learns and applies best practices in program design, data management, statistical analysis, research, test validation, and survey environments although will likely be assigned to one area.
* Provides support to education research studies in subjects such as curricula, enrollment, retention, matriculation, staffing patterns and ratios, community and student demographics, and instructional characteristics.
* Participates in viability studies for programs and outcomes grants and other funding. Researches funding and resource availability. Participates in developing strategies and proposals to access funding for programs and initiatives.
* Performs standardized testing protocols. Sets up tests of predetermined design to analyze research results and data performed and documented by others. Sequences the steps for setting up tests of academic and demographic facts.
* Develops data collection instruments and procedures. Provides technical support to district staff on data collection and recording methods.
* Modifies existing and/or develops integrated spreadsheet and database templates for accumulating, formatting, and organizing program data.
* Prepares data analysis, merging and transforming files and data, and identification of outliers for further study. Performs routine statistical tests as required for the assigned project, program, or study, and to answer questions.
* Participates in, and may assist in preparing certain segments of manuscripts and validation reports.
* Conducts research of best practices and evident-based practices used in education and related industries.
* Researches grant opportunities. Provides technical support to grant development, such as composing and proofreading text, preparing cost-of-service proposals, and providing input on measurable outcomes.
* Initiates surveys of school districts to gather academic, demographic, and other institutional information for use in district initiated analytics.
* Participates in preparing survey summaries and other documentation.
* Sets up 'evaluation' routines to assess work-in-progress and outcomes of grant funded and other programs and projects. Prepares and reviews reports with project leaders.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.