Writer and Social Media Specialist (7477U) Job 1971 - CoE/College Relations - 1971
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 10/18/19
The College of Engineering at UC Berkeley is recognized for its educational and research excellence, consistently ranking among the top three engineering colleges in the United States. With more than 230 regular faculty members and 5,000 students located in seven academic departments, engineering is the second largest college on the Berkeley campus. The College Relations office supports the college's core projects and programs through marketing, communications, events and fundraising efforts designed to reach more than 70,000 alumni, friends, students, foundations and corporate partners. For more information, visit: https://engineering.berkeley.edu
The Writer and Social Media Specialist reports directly to the Assistant Dean of Marketing and Communications, working in close collaboration with the Managing Editor, Web Director, Associate Director, and Multimedia and Design Associate. Responsibilities include developing, implementing and executing comprehensive, multi-faceted communications programs in support of the College of Engineering - regularly working in several integrated communications disciplines, including written/print, digital, visual and audio/video communications.
- Under minimal supervision, identifies, and creates compelling content that highlights the people and activities at the College of Engineering for a broad audience. This includes coverage of research and programmatic news, faculty profiles, awards, and events for internal and external audiences.
- Writes polished, accurate copy under tight deadlines for various publication platforms, including the College of Engineering's website, social media channels, print magazine, and brochures.
- Tailors content to different audiences, including students, faculty, alumni, donors and external media.
- Manages multiple social media accounts for the college using best practices in communications.
- Develops and executes social media campaigns that engage target audiences and create a sense of community.
- Translates complex technical/scientific research into engaging content for a general audience.
- Proofreads and edits material submitted by colleagues, as needed, to enhance style and readability appropriate to the target audience.
- Collaborates with fellow Marketing and Communications team members to develop and execute long- and short-term strategic communications plans.
- Keeps abreast of news and trends relevant to engineering to help Berkeley Engineering be proactive in its communications.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- 4-6 years' experience as a journalist, reporter, editor, public relations or media relations professional or equivalent experience/training
- Exceptional writing, editing, researching, and interviewing skills; knowledge of AP style a plus
- Proven ability to quickly and accurately translate complex, technical research into compelling stories for a general audience
- Excellent news judgment and knowledge of which platforms would be more appropriate for reaching specific audiences
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; ability to juggle multiple tasks and to work well under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and political acumen
- Proficient in software applications and other technology required for written, digital, social media, and visual communications. This includes the Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, TweetDeck and Hootsuite.
- A strong and nuanced knowledge of current affairs, developments in technology, and issues in higher education
- Knowledge of content management systems (Drupal and/or WordPress) and relevant tools used for web site production
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud apps, including Photoshop, InDesign and Dreamweaver
- Knowledge of college and campus protocols and channels for communication internally and externally
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The salary range designated for this position: $67,500 - $81,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1971&PostingSeq=1