Major Gifts Officer, Student Experience & Diversity (0462U) 28137
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) strengthens Berkeley's excellence through engagement with alumni, parents, undergraduate and graduate students, and friends of the University, raising public awareness about Berkeley and increasing private philanthropy. UDAR provides overall direction for the campus philanthropic advancement strategies and works to strengthen unit development in partnership with campus fundraisers. The Division handles a range of central activities and services encompassing communications, stewardship, prospect development, data management, gift services, fund management, reporting and analytics, and donor recognition, as well as talent management and workforce planning.
The Student Experience & Diversity (SED) Philanthropy program is designed to raise funds, and provide meaningful opportunities for alumni, parents, and friends contributing philanthropically to the holistic success of Berkeley students. The Student Experience & Diversity program primarily raises major gift funds in support of student aid, co-curricular activities, and equity and inclusion. The SED Program interfaces with a broad range of divisions and academic units on campus, and serves as the primary fundraising entity for the divisions of Equity & Inclusion, Undergraduate Education, and Student Affairs.
The SED program serves as a strategic focal point for fundraising across three divisions, to maximize major gifts. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, this Major Gifts Officer is responsible for helping to develop fundraising strategies, working closely with fundraisers on the SED team and across campus. The Major Gifts Officer maintains a portfolio of donor prospects capable of giving $100,000 or more.
- Presents formal fundraising proposals to major donors and prospects, prepares briefs, and accompanies program leads when they are planning to meet with donors or present proposals.
- Manages a portfolio of 100+ major gift prospects who have the capacity to give $100,000 or more.
- Makes at least 10-15 substantive contacts per month (e.g., significant moves that advance a relationship).
- Qualifies and cultivates major gifts prospects, solicits gifts directly, and stewards donors once gift has been made.
- Ensures that predetermined fundraising goals are met and raises at least $1 million annually.
- Develops and manages a dynamic portfolio to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects for gifts in the agreed upon range. May include corporate and foundation prospects.
- May attend functions, meetings and serve on internal / external committees as a representative of the location.
- Designs and implements highly specialized program activities.
- A minimum of 5+ years in the field and expert knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations and public relations.
- Expert ability to develop and structure complex gifts; proven track record of success in direct solicitation.
- Experience in successful relationship-building with prospects, key faculty and staff, volunteers and board members.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including advanced political acumen, and demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining good working relationships at all organizational levels and with internal/external diverse communities, including donors and volunteers.
- Advanced organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills, including skill in creative and effective decision-making and problem identification / avoidance / resolution skills. Persuasive, nuanced and clear verbal and written communication skills that will speak to a range of audiences.
- Ability to successfully deal with confidential and complex situations involving coordination and consultation with high level constituents and campus leaders.
- Knowledge of campus' vision, mission, goals and principles of community.
- Demonstrated commitment to understanding and addressing the opportunities and challenges of remote work.
- Track record of successful fundraising with individual major donors and regularly reaching or exceeding fundraising goals. Required Willingness to travel, work weekends and nights.
- A collegial, collaborative leadership style; with the ability to be well-organized, focused and result-oriented. Personal integrity and demonstrated creativity in the workplace.
- Some evening and weekend hours, as well as occasional travel required.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Commitment to promoting principles of justice, diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Knowledge and experience of fundraising in a campaign at an academic institution.
- Basic understanding of student co-curricular and curricular activities, programs and campus life.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to December 29, 2021.
This position could begin remotely, with the expectation that in the future a portion of the job will be conducted at the University Development and Alumni Relations office in Berkeley, CA.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=28137&PostingSeq=1