Cal Housing Coordinator (4263C) 33892
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Residential and Student Services Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of an Associate Vice Chancellor. RSSP provides and manages student housing, custodial and maintenance services, security/safety, capital and minor capital projects, residential education programs, self-operated dining services, campus ID card as well as early childhood & education services for students, faculty, and staff. RSSP also conducts a summer conference and year-round catering/events business and manages faculty apartments. RSSP's annual revenue exceeds $160,000,000, with a $100,000,000 operating budget, and the department employs over 2500 career, limited, contract and student employees creating a "culture of care" for students, guests, customers and stakeholders.
This position is part of the Housing and Facilities Services (H & FS) unit in RSSP which manages over 3 million square feet across 150 buildings, houses over 10,000 residents (including undergraduate/graduate students, faculty and staff) and generates over $120,000,000 in revenue. The unit is also responsible for the oversight of campus Recreational Sports facilities operations (centers, pools, fields, marina space, etc) adding in 300,000 square feet and a $2,800,000 budget. H & FS provides clean, safe, code compliant facilities, efficient response to concerns, a high quality experience and focus on customer service.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 20, 2022
- Administers a defined operational program or activities including: maintaining positive resident relations by being the main point of contact for residents; facilitate move-in/move-out process for each resident including but not limited to making packets to provide necessary information/guidelines, the release of keys, apartment condition reporting, track onsite parking and monthly billing, and damage documentation; perform all lockouts when onsite, assist residents with reporting maintenance requests; maintain property by investigating and resolving resident complaints; facilitate property tours; coordinates recordkeeping; collaborates with other departments to achieve high occupancy unit goals; assists with management of monthly occupancy reports; tracks delinquencies and produces of termination notices; creates email messages and email templates via StarRez to communicate with residents; responds to residents' housing billing inquires including researches billing and payments and if necessary escalate issue to Housing Cashiers or SAIT; follows up to make sure that issue is resolved.
- Under general supervision, provides analysis of moderate operational projects, produces monthly occupancy limit audits, gathers and analyzes resource data; prepares and summarizes information and/or recommendations; and develops short term plans to decrease loss in revenue. Masters essential technology of StarRez, Cal Central, and Campus Solutions. Participates in StarRez trainings.
- Responds in timely manner to steady stream of phone, email and walk in queries from prospective and current residents; troubleshoots minor facilities management issues, power is out, stove/oven not working, toilet is clogged, smoke alarm is activated; inspect vacant units and submit maintenance repair requests; when resident moves out, incumbent is responsible for inspecting unit, checking for damages, and determining what portion of security deposit will be returned to the resident; provides guidance and explains policies and procedures to prospective and current residents; evaluates prioritized housing eligibility and confirms eligibility and wait list status with email; offers apartments; prepares and sends housing agreements for signing; sends move in email to incoming residents; makes courtesy calls to manage prospective residents' expectations, sends a monthly communication update to any wait-listed applicants.
- Processes intent to vacate notices: updates booking end dates, sends follow up email to resident with move out instructions; updates StarRez closure with new reoffer date; updates apartment matrix; tracks any off market apartments in shared google doc; updates google doc when apartment is back on the market; prepares transfer requests for review by Graduate and Family Housing Manager, emails resident with decision; manages transfer wait list google doc.
- Works closely with another Single Graduate Student Apartments Specialist to manage wait list and housing assignments across the graduate housing portfolio.
- Participates in outreach programs.
- Provides backup support to other Cal Housing units.
- Makes recommendations for improvement.
- Participates in the development and revision of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Maintains organizational website, housing portal content, monitors for updated information and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Updates informational materials which are included in email message with move in and move out instructions for Intersection residents.
- Some overtime and travel may be required for outreach, recruitment and meeting crucial deadlines.
- Working knowledge of (or can quickly learn) common campus-specific and other computer application programs; for example, StarRez, Google, and Microsoft.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Solid organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Time management skills to prioritize tasks based on importance and urgency.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Ability to develop and demonstrate a high level of administrative competence.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to be reliable and trustworthy when given an assignment or task.
- Ability to carry out assignments with little assistance.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, National Collegiate Athletic Association regulations, and California rental laws/guidelines.
- Knowledge of local housing market trends.
- Ability to develop and provide public speaking presentations representing housing at university events.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Two+ years' experience in a university setting interacting with families, students, parents, faculty and staff in a front facing unit.
Salary & Benefits
Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience within the range of $24.76 to $35.78.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=33892&PostingSeq=1