Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Benefits and Leave Coordinator 3 (7720U)
University of California Berkeley
Benefits and Leave Coordinator 3 (7720U)
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 27, 2020
Central Human Resources is valued as UC Berkeley's proactive people partner while utilizing the following HR Strategies:
- Bring clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
- Use development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
- Apply Berkeley brand to developing a shared enterprise contributor mindset among all employees.
- Administers and communicates the University's employee and postdoctoral scholars benefits programs which may include subject matter areas in any combination of health and welfare, benefits administration, and/or retirement and savings.
- Provides in-depth information on entire scope of benefits packages, eligibility rules, enrollment information, basic use of UC Path, plan literature and forms usage.
- Provides in-depth technical counseling, and problem resolution ranging from routine to extremely complex, in assigned area(s) upon request, to faculty, postdocs and staff who need to weigh all options and aspects of their benefits, including advising faculty, postdocs and staff on the impacts of various ongoing scenarios;
- Responsible for interpreting, analyzing and providing solutions to more unusual or unique problems which are less well-defined and have substantial impact on the organization.
- Provides in-depth research on a variety of benefits-related issues and problems; consolidates information from a variety of sources, offices, and employees in a written summary with recommendation options for possible resolution.
- As requested, maintain data and statistics on benefits programs.
- Technical expert and office resource on the most complex technical questions of subject matter area.
- Influences and shapes employee benefits programs.
- Reviews UCOP draft communications and literature, and provides feedback and suggestions.
- Provides guidance to campus HR administrators in assigned subject matter areas.
- Provide guidance regarding the impact on benefits of changes in employment status such as leave of absence, return to work, separation, and death.
- Administer UC Berkeley's rehired retiree program in accordance with UC Regents Policy.
- Provide policy and procedural guidance on the program.
- Review of approvals packets for plan compliance, submit requests for determinations, and track request.
- Complete Quarterly Exceptions and Semi-Annual Compliance Reporting.
- Act as liaison between campus employees, campus departments, Office of the President, Academic Personnel, Payroll, the Visiting Scholar and Postdoctoral Affairs Office, the Berkeley International Office, and Garnett-Powers (or their successor) and Fidelity Retirement Services in resolving a variety of issues
- Coordinates with other campus programs as needed.
- May provide training to departments on employee benefit programs, and workshops on new/amended benefit programs.
- Influences and shapes employee benefit programs.
- Participates in unit development and delivery of programs by providing recommendations and information based on professional expertise.
- Responsible for developing and/or revising assigned aspects of programs, works in concert with other team members in delivering programs through various internal (counseling and customer service) and external (written communications and presentations to both departments as well as faculty and staff) channels.
- Emphasis is on benefits information of a highly-complex, technical nature in any number of specialized subject-matter areas.
- Coordinates with other team members in all logistical aspects of presentation provision.
- Develops internal procedures and updates internal cover letters and checklists;
- Develops implementation plans, and/or administers or coordinates moderate-scale program.
- Analyzes circumstances and makes recommendations regarding procedures and policies relating to compliance pursuant to federal and state requirements.
- Ensures compliance with applicable legislation and policy on case by case basis.
- As needed, reviews, researches and acts on various reports.
- As needed, participates in special projects involving research, data analysis, and the identification of data inconsistencies, providing information to management, and recommending approaches for maintaining compliance.
- Works in a collaborative manner with others across the organization to prioritize and complete multiple assignments on time.
- May provide guidance and direction to other members of staff.
- May serve as a team or functional lead.
- Prioritizes work assignments, conducts analysis on a broad range of benefit programs and develops recommendations.
- Professional development.
- Minimum of 3-years of benefits administration experience.
- Strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates strong focus on customer service and the ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of health & welfare programs and applies knowledge in order to provide information, plan interpretation, manage routine and complex cases, and resolve problems.
- Demonstrates strong writing, speaking, and group presentation skills in order to present information in a clear and concise manner across multiple levels in the organization.
- Strong knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn, and the ability to interpret, apply and provide consultation on the UC Group Insurance Plan Regulations, UCRP Plan Regulations, federal and state legislation and campus and system-wide practices that govern health, welfare and retirement benefits.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism and conducts business in accordance with policies governed by legislations such as COBRA, ACA and HIPAA.
- Strong knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn the University Retirement System for all membership classes, including retirement income, UCRP Disability and survivor benefits.
- Proficiency with using software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Google Suite and web based software, etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize work and complete multiple assignments on time with or without multiple interruptions.
- Proven track record of working in a highly collaborative manner and the ability to maintain effective professional relationships with internal & external partners at all levels.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrates ability to develop and deliver training to departments on employee benefit programs, and workshops on new/amended benefit programs.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the organization's employee benefits function and programs and can address unique circumstances as well as routine situations.
- Working knowledge of Higher Ed HR information systems and system-wide database management systems.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range $71,400.00 - $75,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=4661&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |