Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
HR Generalist 2 (7595U), ChaMPS Service Region, 27172 - 1316
University of California Berkeley
HR Generalist 2 (7595U), ChaMPS Service Region, 27172 - 1316
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 10, 2019
Job will remain open until filled
Chemistry and Mathematical and Physical Sciences (ChaMPS) is a service region within Campus Shared Services (CSS) - a division of the UC Berkeley Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration - provides reliable, high-quality integrative administrative support to faculty, academics, staff, student employees, and retirees in support of the UC Berkeley mission of teaching, research, and public service.
ChaMPS provides services in the areas of Business and Financial Services, Human Resources/ Academic Personnel Support and Research Administration (pre-award and post-award administration) for the College of Chemistry, the Division of Mathematical and Physical Sciences in the College of Letters & Science, Space Science Laboratory, and several other ORUs.
- Administer a full range of client and departmental HR operations. These may include conducting business process analyses to streamline and/or update HR processes, hiring large cohorts of seasonal student or other staff to meet business needs of the client departments, and tracking and updating personnel actions in the system of record for the campus.
- Conduct HR trends analyses and help develop resulting recommendations.
- Generate reports in UC Systems; HR BAIRS, GLOW, GLACIER, VSPA and PageCenter for analysis of personnel activity and compliance.
- In collaboration with HR Partners, resolve non-routine, complex personnel processing problems, analyze and interpret personnel policy and procedures, and implement administrative changes for the department.
- Serve as liaison between the HR Partner, CSS-HR LOA team, the department and employee concerning leaves of absence, including those resulting from Workers' Compensation claims.
- Coordinate appointments managed via SmartSheets or other mass-hire method, e.g. GSI/GSR/Reader/Tutor appointments, TSPs, Lecturers
- May manage Visiting Scholar and Postdoctoral appointment processes.
- Provide guidance to supervisors and managers in developing student job descriptions, facilitating benefits communications, and providing guidance on student compensation personnel policies, and procedures.
- Under general supervision screens resumes and applications and interviews applicants for student positions.
- Compiles personnel information, collects appointment data, monitors appointment spreadsheets, confirms appropriate authorizations and eligibility.
- Work in tandem with UC teams and departments: First contact, Payroll, HCM, Visa and Graduate Division Manage sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interacts with client groups.
- In collaboration with HR Partners, CSS, and campus HR, communicate on-going and new policies and procedures, practices, programs and relationships to the department, e.g., payroll deadlines, employee benefits changes and updates and performance evaluation cycle milestones.
- May maintain records for equal employment opportunity and affirmative action reporting requirements and other records as required to maintain compliance(I-9, EAD, etc)
- Under general supervision provides advice and counsel to client groups according to established human resources policies and procedures.
- Has working knowledge of one or more areas of HR (such as, payroll, benefits, on-boarding).
- Ability to acquire knowledge of campus policies and procedures and knowledge of functional area.
- Has analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrates organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses basic knowledge of human resources policies and programs and campus policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Human Resources Management System (HRMS) and other related business software programs and systems.
- Excellent listening and customer service skills- applies tact and diplomacy, persuasive and sensitive
- Excellent computer skills, proficiency in MS Word, Excel, database management, experience in tracking and data analysis
- Highly motivated, flexible - comfortable and adaptable in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment, with frequent interruptions and shifting multiple priorities.
- Results oriented - creative problem solving abilitiy, dependable, can work collaboratively on a team.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1316&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |