Financial Analyst (4627U) 1602 - 1602
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 23, 2019
The Department of German offers language and literature classes in German, Dutch, and Yiddish, as well as breadth requirement courses (taught in English) on German philosophy, linguistics, political culture, and cinema. The department's degree options include an undergraduate major, a minor, and a PhD. Our renowned doctoral program is affiliated with the departments of Comparative Literature and Film and Media, the Program in Medieval Studies, and the Graduate Group in Critical Theory. The German undergraduate major program provides students with the knowledge, experience, language fluency, and analytical skills necessary to enter the academic world or the world of international law or global business.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of California, Berkeley is a medium-sized one, big enough to offer a wide variety of approaches to teaching and research yet small enough to afford students at both the graduate and undergraduate level personal attention and mentoring. We offer an abundance of opportunities to learn and achieve mastery of the languages and cultures we study, which include Catalan, Nahuatl, Portuguese, Romance Studies and Spanish. Our programs are specially designed for highly motivated students with a passion for other languages, literature and cultures, for imaginative approaches to these and for careful crossing of traditionally defined geographic, linguistic and disciplinary borders.
- Applies professional financial services concepts to independently perform analyses of complex financial services such as researching discrepancies and tax implications and compliance with external regulations and internal policies.
- Analyzes finances and prepares reports to include complex summaries of financial transactions, evaluation of current and proposed services, etc., for management review and decision-making.
- Manages and ensures that financial processing functions which may include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cashiering and Collections are performed with accuracy and that daily operations run smoothly. Implements a diverse range of financial services for faculty,students and department staff.
- Provides expertise to faculty, students and support staff on issues such as researching complex financial discrepancies, payment problems, escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns. Serves as the financial liaison to L&S Dean's office and departments on campus. Applies knowledge on a wide variety of internal and external policies and regulations to addess a wide range of issues.
- Researches, develops and implements new and changing business processes. Assesses and recommends changes as needed to ensure financial processes maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal financial/audit policies. Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed.Documents processes and procedures for financial activities to comply with federal and state audit standards.
- Reviews, processes, and approves financial data and transactions Signature authority for financial accounts and transactions for both departments.
- Recommends and implements quality customer service standards and procedures to affected constituencies including internal department ,students and external vendors.
- Reads professional literature to understand regulations and best practices concerning financial accounting and services. Attends campus sponsored presentations on new and best practices. Keeps informed of changes and upgrades to campus systems and processes.Makes recommendations on implementation of policy changes.
- German, Spanish and Portuguese Event Specialist: Primary resource for special events planning, conferences, seminars and workshops. Manage logistics for events. Financial oversight for events from multiple funding sources, ensuring collection of funding, payment of all invoices, honoraria etc.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of financial data management and reporting systems.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office, Excel, and common desktop/web applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and decision-making.
- Ability to independently investigate issues and develop solutions to problems.
- Leadership skills to provide guidance, coaching and mentoring to professional and support staff.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Experience with UC Berkeley systems or comparable systems preferred (Cal Answers, BFS, BearBuy, Travel & Entertainment)
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly paid, non-exempt role, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a permanent, part-time, 38 hour per week position eligible for full UC Benefits.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1602&PostingSeq=1