Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on https://it.tufts.edu/
Tisch Library is a student-centered research library, dedicated to the support of teaching, learning, and
scholarship in Tufts’ School of Arts & Sciences and School of Engineering. We provide collections,
subject expertise, and technology-rich research and learning environments, with a variety of services and
programs to meet the information needs of our students, faculty, and staff. We provide a welcoming,
inclusive environment for our patrons, with collaborative staff committed to teamwork.
What You'll Do
Tufts Technology Services and Tisch Library seek a talented software engineer to join an interdisciplinary team of software engineers, archivists, and librarians in developing digital library and repository software solutions. The systems being developed enable management, preservation, and online discovery that support the research data and scholarly, scientific, and creative expression of researchers, instructors, and students throughout the University.
This position's focus is on meeting the academic needs of Tufts' largest schools, the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering, which will require close collaboration with metadata specialists and other Tisch staff members, as well as consultation directly with faculty and students to understand technology needs and develop solutions. The successful candidate will engage in digital preservation strategies and repository systems research within the Digital Library Development team and support an expanding suite of data and informatics
technologies within technology services and the library.
This position is designated as remote, with the option to use desk space on Tufts’ Medford campus.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Skills and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• 3+ years of related work experience.
• Well-developed programming skills; emphasis on code documentation, code standards, and demonstrated use of available frameworks.
• Thorough understanding of REST APIs.
• Demonstrated experience with version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to QA test web applications.
• Excellent communication skills and time-management. Successful experience working within time limitations.
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially, cooperatively, and flexibly within and across the organization.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Experience with Ruby on Rails strongly preferred.
• Experience with the Hyrax Repository system.
• Familiarity with digital library standards, such as Dublin Core, MARC, and OAI-PMH.
• Knowledge of XML/XSLT.
• Experience building and optimizing Solr indexes.
• Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, including scripting and commands.
• Demonstrated knowledge of authentication and authorization protocols, including LDAP.
• Demonstrated ability to adeptly adjust focus, approaches and priorities to accommodate emerging and changing conditions.
• Strong talent for communicating effectively and coordinating action across organizational boundaries and leading teams representing a diverse range of perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
• Enthusiasm to learn new skills and technologies.
• Ability to work independently, as a team member, and as a member of open-source communities.
• Experience with Fedora Commons.
• Understanding of RDF and Linked data.
• Prior success in an academic, archives, and/or library setting.