Electronic Resources Specialist, Library (6759C) 8219
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/15/2020
The Acquisitions Department supports the ordering and receiving of library materials for the University Libraries at the University of California, Berkeley. This position exists within the Electronic Resources Unit of the Acquisitions Department and functions as the Specialist responsible for establishing and maintaining access of all e-book packages, electronic databases, streaming media, and electronic journals for the Library. This position manages changes in access points to e-resources, updates holdings, checks links, updates IP addresses, informs LSO and CMS of cataloging and MARC record loading issues. Work also includes maintaining the Library's SFX, EDS, EZproxy and database A-Z instances, and maintaining e-resource licensing and financial data in the eresources database. It also collects usage statistics to support collection analysis
- Activates new electronic resources in the library's various knowledge bases (Millennium, SFX, A-Z Database portal, and Ebsco Discovery Services).
- Performs required weekly maintenance on SFX instance in response to updates of the SFX Knowledge Base.
- Refers MARC records from vendors to Library Systems Office
- Establishes access for electronic books, databases, journals, streaming media, and other web-based resources in specialized publisher and vendor administrative websites.
- Resolves access problems for electronic resources, including analyzing and troubleshooting IP, proxy, vendor platforms, networks, and access breaches.
- Tracks publisher, platform, and title changes. Performs appropriate record maintenance. Migrates subscribed titles and access links as appropriate.
- Maintains e-resource licensing and financial data in Millennium order records or E-Resource Management System.
- Maintains documentation on processes and procedures for the management of electronic resources in the Library.
- Performs other duties as required to help the department meet deadlines
- 1 year experience within Library Acquisitions
- 1 year experience working with multiple bibliographic and other data sources such as an Integrated Library System, an open URL resolver, ez-proxy, and the databases of publishers, vendors, and electronic journal/database providers in order to maintain data integrity within and across systems.
- 1 year experience managing link-resolver knowledge bases, for example, SFX, Serials Solutions, Worldshare KB, Ebsco Journal Service.
- Experience receiving serials and/or electronic resources
- Specialized knowledge of vendor behavior and familiarity with major vendor, publisher, and online platform provider developments
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member
- Detail oriented
- Demonstrated problem solving ability
- Experience with Millennium or Sierra ILS
- Excellent English language and communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with standard professional software, such as MS Windows, MS Office suite, and Google office apps
- MS Access query experience
Salary & Benefits
$24.15 - $27.68 per hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8219&PostingSeq=1