The Division of Student Affairs (DSA) exists to support and further the mission of the University by developing, delivering, and advocating for services and programs that unite and support students’ academic and life pursuits. DSA is one of the largest divisions at the University of North Texas and includes Housing and Residence Life, Recreational Sports, Career Center, Office of the Dean of Students, Student Health & Wellness, Counseling & Testing, Student Activities, Greek Life, Auxiliary Services, Dining, Center for Leadership & Service, Sustainability, Center for Leadership & Service, Substance Abuse Resource Center, Veteran Services, TRiO, and more.
This position is an entry level role responsible for writing, editing, creating and disseminating content that supports the Division. This position will write, edit and create content for multiple audiences and in varying media (online, print, broadcast) and may include: articles, brochures, websites, social media, graphic design, video etc. for various target audiences. This position will also perform updates to the Division’s website.
Additional Posting Details
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and two years of experience in writing and/or editing publications; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to conceptualize, write and edit, accurate and concise content for university audiences.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others.
- Works effectively within a team and effectively works closely with other staff, faculty, and students toward a common goal.
- Knowledge of how to contact sources and ability to conduct interviews and take accurate notes.
- Knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
- Knowledge of writing guidelines for various media and ability to create unique copy for each format (print, online, broadcast).
- Understanding of institutional strategy (or ability to quickly assimilate) and ability to integrate the strategy into modes of communication.
The preferred candidate will have experience in design, video, and web content.