Development Events Intern - Intercollegiate Athletics (5171U) 27440 - 1095
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 20, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Development Events Intern who will work within the department's Cal Athletics Fund.
This position assists the Development Operations team with the planning, implementation, and execution of various Development events throughout the year, ranging from Football/Men's Basketball game days to the fundraising galas, to engage, steward and cultivate donors or potential donors to Athletics. Under the supervision of the full-time Development Operations staff, this position will assist with facility rentals, procuring equipment/supplies, communicating with donors, event set up and take down, and event management.
- Under the direction of the Development Operations team, assists full time staff with developing and running a variety of Development events, ranging from large scale events, such as a Gala, to small scale events, such as a 10 person board meeting.
- This position will assist with facility rentals, procuring equipment/supplies, partnering with inter-departmental staff, sending the event briefing, communicating with donors, event set up and take down, and event management.
- Learns to maintain and analyze departmental database and prepare reports and analyses. In particular develop event briefings, itineraries, and track attendee data.
- Learns about athletic administrative areas, specifically Development and Alumni Relations, by coordinating special events and collaborating with athletic departments such as marketing, communications, facilities, etc.
- Responsible for helping communicate with other Athletic Department units to ensure events are organized and run successfully.
- Assists with inventory, storage, budget and other operational activities.
- May be asked to help assist with creating budgets for events, tracking inventory of event supplies, and maintain storage of event supplied.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent years experience/training.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly detail-oriented, forward-thinking and proactive.
- High degree of professionalism and flexibility.
- Able to coordinate multiple work streams for on-time project delivery.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Apps.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Have common sense, intuition, and can think creatively about a variety of challenges.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with colleagues, donors, and senior management to build lasting relationships.
- The ability to problem solve, multi-task, handle and prioritize a heavy workload, and perform under pressure.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible, fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Completed Bachelor's degree or fulfilling final credits required to complete Bachelor's degree or equivalent years experience/training.
- Master's degree candidate preferred or equivalent years experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time (40%) contract position with an end date of May 31, 2020.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1095&PostingSeq=1