Medical Assistant, Fast Track Clinic (9253C) 1979 - 1979
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 18, 2019
University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited medical and mental health care, education, a major medical insurance plan, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services. Learn more by visiting https://uhs.berkeley.edu/
Fast Track is a fast paced primary care clinic for minor illnesses. Fast Track is a busy clinic embedded in our Urgent Care clinic. The candidate chosen for this position will work closely on a one to one basis with our Fast Track clinician and be a member of our Urgent Care team. The candidate will have some functions related to Urgent Care.
This is a Partial Year appointment, will have summer and low impacted periods off. The hours of work for this position is 11:30am to 6:30pm, Monday through Friday.
Intake and Checkout:
- Greets patients, verifies eligibility, accurately completes registration of patients and verifies that compliance forms are complete.
- Schedules/reschedules patient appointments, using computerized appointment system to maximize clinic efficiency. For Specialty Clinic: Schedules appointments for the speciality physicians.
- Able to set priorities in balancing clinical operations/clinician support with administrative duties.
- Directs or escorts patients as necessary. Assures that patients leaving the area have appropriate instructions, forms and referral information.
- Reviews incoming faxes and distributes to appropriate clinical personnel to handle.
- May assist with running and clearing weekly unresolved appointments.
- Assists with submitting tickets to IT for kiosk or computer issues.
Clinic Maintenance and Supplies:
- Documents chief complaint, and all patient interactions according to established guidelines.
- Takes vital signs and rooms patient as per unit guidelines.
- Documents findings and reports abnormal findings to RN or clinician.
- Instructs patient in specimen collection and performs specific testing as defined by assigned unit., i.e. check visual acuity using Snellen chart and urine dipstick, etc
- May assist with examinations and procedures, using sterile techniques as indicated.
- Reviews after visit summary and assures client receives appropriate paperwork before they leave. .
- Assures that patients leaving the area have appropriate instructions, forms and referral information.
- Assists in maintaining smooth clinic operations and optimal patient flow: demonstrates initiative in carrying out duties. Notices issues with and offers solutions to workflow issues.
- Handles the advice line, answering more complex questions and referring as necessary. Does not include triage, assessment or advice.
- Schedules/reschedules patient appointments, using computerized appointment system to maximize clinic efficiency. For Specialty Clinic: Schedules appointments for the speciality physicians
- Demonstrates ability to use equipment correctly and safely. Notices and reports any problems with equipment.
- Performs maintenance on equipment as required.
- Keeps inventory of supplies and restocks in assigned area, as needed, including patient education material. May be responsible for ordering clinic supplies.
- Unpacks and shelves goods received: must be able to lift supplies.
- Cleans and stocks rooms in assigned area as per protocol.
- Processes contaminated articles, prepares packs for sterilization and sterilizes equipment as needed and per infection control guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned
- Current Medical Assistant Diploma.
- Current BLS/CPR certification.
- Ability to understand and follow written protocols for patient care.
- Highly collaborative (team) employee, excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates advanced utilization of medical terminology.
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of the diverse patient groups served at UHS and the scope of services our patient groups are entitled to based on eligibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must understand and comply with HIPAA, and all regulations regarding the confidentiality of medical records.
- Well-developed people skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure; demonstrated sensitivity to ethnic, culture and lifestyle diversity.
- Must be literate with EHR systems and patient tracking.
- Graduation from high school (or GED) and appropriate experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary range of the position is $20.98 - $23.63, commensurate with experience.Includes full eligibility to UC benefits plan.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- This is a 75% FTE (30 hours/week), 9 Months "Partial-Year" Career appointment. Will have summer and low impacted periods off. The hours of work for this position is 11:30am to 6:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- As a 9 months partial-year career status, you will have a 3 month furlough.
- Partial-year career appointments are used to accommodate foreseeable seasonal fluctuations in staffing, budgetary, operational, or other University needs. During your regularly scheduled furlough period you will remain an employee with the University but is not currently work in your appointment. Appointees holding partial-year career appointments may choose to receive paychecks during their working months only or, alternatively, to spread their paychecks over 12 months.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1979&PostingSeq=1