Non Sworn Public Safety Officer
GENERAL SCOPE OF POSITION:
A non-sworn Public Safety Officer follows a leadership model that practices values based and community policing principles when responding to the needs of the community. In following this model a Public Safety Officer practices leadership that is collaborative, creative, adaptive, based on influence, is multi-directional, and non-coercive. A Public Safety Officer provides services with the understanding that leaders, followers, and participants develop a common purpose to achieve mutual goals.
As part of the larger staff in Student Life, Public Safety employees collaborate and cooperate across divisions and departments to create a supportive University community which encourages student learning and development in the Jesuit Catholic tradition. The mission of Student Life is to fully support holistic student development within a social justice framework centered in preparing students to be caring, socially responsible citizens in our global and local community.
Full Job Description:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Continuous patrol of the Universities campus.
- Respond to all campus emergencies, medical and criminal
- Enforce all University rules and regulations
- Enforce California Penal Code on campus
- Enforce California Vehicle Code on campus
- Provide security to campus events
- Problem solve with community regarding crime prevention and emergency preparedness
- Identify, evaluate, report, and resolve physical security breaches on campus
- Prepare written reports of unusual circumstances and crimes occurring on campus
- Create positive, collaborative, and professional relationships with the university community
- Work collaboratively with SFPD when requested to assist with university related incidents and criminal behavior in neighborhoods adjacent to the university
High School Diploma or GED; AA/AS or BA/BS preferred.
Successful completion of a Basic POST academy prior to appointment. Academy completion date must be within three years of application date. Current Consumer Affairs Guard Registration, Straight Baton Certification, and successful completion of firearm training by date of appointment.
Uncorrected vision of 20/30 in both eyes or corrected vision of 20/20. Normal depth perception and color vision in both eyes.
Strength and Agility
Possess sufficient strength and agility necessary to perform the duties of a Public Safety Officer (including running, jumping, climbing obstacles and stairs, carrying heavy objects, etc.)
Possess and maintain valid California Driver's License with a good driving record.
Pass a written and oral psychological evaluation prior to appointment.
The selection process will consist of four parts:
Part I: Application screening
Part II: Interview to evaluate candidate's education, training, experience and personal fitness for the position.
Part III: Candidates who successfully pass Parts I and II will be invited to an
interview with the Executive Director of Public Safety and, upon his discretion, be forwarded to Part IV.
Part IV: Candidates who are forwarded to this stage will proceed to a screening process which may consist of the following:
- Review of DMV driving record
- Review of work history through previous employers
- Review of character references
- Review of credit and financial history
- Review of Criminal Conviction record
- Psychological Screening
Candidates who successfully complete all phases may be hired to fill vacancies as they arise. The probationary period for new hires is one year.
The University of San Francisco is a Jesuit Catholic university founded in 1855 to educate leaders who will fashion a more humane and just world. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to work in a culturally diverse environment and to contribute to the mission of the University.
USF is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to affirmative action and to excellence through diversity. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities upon request.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Non-Sworn-Public-Safety-Officer_R0001199.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.