SAN JOSE -EVERGREEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
The San Jose - Evergreen Community College District is currently recruiting a Purchasing Agent. This is a temporary assignment with the possibility of extension. Hourly pay is $30.19. Working hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Position will be located at District Services, 40 South Market St, San Jose, CA 95113.
Duties and Responsibilities/Specific to Position:
Coordinates purchasing services by acting as a buyer for the District. Performs specialized and technical duties associated with the purchase, delivery, and quality of supplies, equipment and services. Coordinates assigned activities with other departments, outside vendors and agencies and the general public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinates Purchasing services with those of other departments and outside vendors.
2. Reviews requisitions for the purchase of materials, supplies, equipment, and services for clarity of descriptions, specifications and documentation; contacts appropriate department for further information if needed; determines appropriate methods of procurement such as PO, BPO(, or Request for Check, including whether or not to bid it out legally or informally. Approves requisitions and enters them into the Requisition Log.
3. Researches, contacts, and selects potential vendors to receive proposals for price, quality, and timeliness of delivery. Makes independent judgment on purchases up to authorized dollar limits and specifications in conformance with established procurement procedures and legal requirements. Recommends current and/or new vendors. Conveys delivery, inventory, and quality goals to vendors. Processes Requisitions, Purchase Orders, Blanket Purchase Orders, Change Orders, Receipts, and updates vendor files, using purchasing software.
4. Anticipates and plans for upcoming projects; schedules, coordinates, obtains specifications, writes Request for Bids and Proposals, awards, processes, and expedites complicated advertised bids in coordination with Facilities Project Managers, Deans, Consultants and Vendors; makes certain the whole process moves smoothly and on schedule.
5. Establishes and communicates patterns of supply and product usage so that vendors can anticipate needs and meet requirements. Learns vendor cycles and procedures to optimize delivery time. Reviews trends in material and supply usage and acts when applicable.
6. Resolves discrepancies in requisitions, purchase orders, contracts, invoices, and receipts.
7. Develops and maintains a directory of vendors and necessary purchasing files.
8. Expedites orders and, working with the Warehouse, plans, organizes, and coordinates the physical inventory of the District's fixed assets and prepares and processes board agendas, auctions, sales, and disposal of surplus. Works with the Accounting Department to maintain the fixed asset inventory spreadsheets.
9. Identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures and views with appropriate management staff. Implements improvements.
10. Oversees and participates in developing and maintaining a directory of vendors. Prequalifies vendors based on price, service, quality, etc.
11. Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Requires specialized professional knowledge of purchasing and procurement programs including: project management, contract negotiations and administration, cost analysis, file maintenance, warehousing, inventory control, and surplus disposal.
Requires well developed communication skills both verbal and written. Must be able to give presentations, initiate and chair meetings with vendors and requestors, write detailed bids and specifications, send e-mails, and write formal letters. Must be proficient in Excel and Word, perform accurate mathematical calculations rapidly on 10key, perform internet searches, and have experience with Purchasing software programs and standard office equipment. Must be able to type and input data accurately at 45 words per minute.
Requires excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi task. Must be able to work independently and with sound judgment within procedural guidelines, to carry out both oral and written instructions, quickly identify problems and situations, and take appropriate action to resolve the underlying cause.
Must be able to establish harmonious and effective work relationships with departments and outside vendors. Must be detail-oriented and able to perform accurate cost analyses.
Must be able to make oral and written presentations.
Requires ordinary ambulatory skills, visual acuity to read letters and numbers, auditory ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone. Sufficient hand-eye coordination to use a personal computer keyboard. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations over the phone and in small group settings.
Education and Experience:
Requires an Associates degree from an accredited college with major course work in purchasing, materials management, business administration, or a related field plus 4 years of increasingly responsible purchasing, materials management, business administration or a related field plus 4 years of increasingly responsible purchasing experience
For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and CV directly to Anthony.Oum@sjeccd.edu
by September 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM
HR Employment Services
Office of Human Resources
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Phone: (408) 270-6414