Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Program Assistant (4723C) , CEP Puente Project 6417
University of California Berkeley
Program Assistant (4723C) , CEP Puente Project 6417
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 14, 2020
The PUENTE Project is a national award-winning program that for more than 35 years has improved the college-going rate of tens of thousands of California's underrepresented students. Its mission is to increase the number of educationally disadvantaged students who enroll in four-year colleges and universities, earn college degrees and return to the community as mentors and leaders to future generations. The program is interdisciplinary in approach, with writing, counseling and mentoring components.
Started in 1981 at Chabot Community College in Hayward, California, the program has since expanded, through its partnerships with educational institutions, to 4 middle schools, 38 high schools and 64 community colleges throughout the state. PUENTE staff train middle school, high school and community college instructors and counselors to implement a program of rigorous instruction, focused academic counseling, and mentoring by members of the community. PUENTE is open to all students.
Puente is housed within the Center for Educational Partnerships at the University of California at Berkeley, the primary unit on campus charged with developing and implementing programs and strategies to improve academic preparation, expand educational opportunities, and ensure access to higher education and to the University of California for low-income and educationally-disadvantaged students. Working in partnership with local schools and communities, CEP improves academic achievement and expands post-secondary educational opportunities for students who face significant barriers to college.
Under the supervision of the program director and program coordinators, this position supports program staff in preparing for, implementing, and evaluating program activities, especially around faculty and student conferences. Additional areas of responsibility include communications and general office administrative functions.
The Program Assistant provides first contact and clerically driven administrative support to the unit, while also cultivating a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Assist conference leads by helping to identify locations, schedule meetings and events. Assist with event coordination of Puente Summer Institutes, regional and statewide trainings, Motivational Conferences, 9th Grade Student Leadership Conferences, Staff Meetings. Attends Puente trainings/events and provides day of logistical assistance.
- Follow up with vendor contracts with venues, assist in securing event locations, plan catering menus, arrange for audio-visual equipment, secure overnight accommodations, and ensure appropriate meeting room set-up. Create and manage online event registration, create name tags, assist with travel arrangements, copying and vendor payments.
- Provides purchasing, procurement and reimbursement support to department. Compile travel, meeting and entertainment reimbursements utilizing the UC Berkeley procurement systems. Makes arrangements for on-campus visits/events that include tours, classroom visits, parking and catering. Assist with coordination of event budgets and ensure budget pre-approval process is applied to all conferences and events. Utilizes and reconciles corporate credit card to purchase supplies, materials, catering and technology for trainings, staff events, meetings and conferences.
- Under the supervision of director, and through the development and application of media tools, ensure various stakeholders are informed about the Puente statewide impact, activities and work in supporting students' journeys to and through higher education. Together with office manager, manage the social media marketing strategy for statewide program, focusing on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, YouTube, and Instagram, and on the execution of all social media activities (i.e. tweeting, sharing, engaging, liking, increasing social reach with professionalism, competence, and tact.
- Assist with development of, and distribute, Puente quarterly newsletters to primary stakeholders. Upload information to Puente website.
- Maintain program files, calendar, meeting agendas and minutes. Responsible for organizing program documents and materials on Google Drive. Also maintains Puente listservs, school calendars, databases of current participants and alumni; develops matrices to track and organize program information concisely.
General Office Administrative Tasks include:
- Maintain office equipment and supply inventory.
- Perform receptionist duties, route calls to appropriate staff.
- General mailings.
- Draft, edit and format a variety of written materials, including correspondence, presentations, reports, agendas, portfolio matrices, presentations.
- Attends monthly CEP Office Manager meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population that includes faculty, students, administrative staff, and constituents.
- Excellent organizational skills, problem solving, and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team, problem solve, and set priorities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to clearly convey factual material.
- Must have skills and capacity to adjust to change, and competing work pressures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, and professionalism in a highly visible role.
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite applications, calendaring/registration systems, and ability to learn other software and systems as required.
- Demonstrated competence in the use of spreadsheets and databases.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated skill with Adobe Creative Suite-InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and experience with website content management systems.
- Experience with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube.
- Some evening and weekend availability for off-site events and meetings that occur outside the hours of 8am-5pm.
- Ability to travel within California.
- Working knowledge of common campus-specific processes and purchasing procedures or the ability to learn quickly.
- Knowledge of academic environments and ability to learn quickly campus facilities and resources- sufficient to complete outlined projects with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of Puente program model and structure or the ability to learn quickly.
- Some event planning experience and knowledge-- such as organizational skills, and planning for events of 50 participants, or more.
- Valid CA drivers license.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=6417&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |