Communication Manager, (4508U) Haas School of Business
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 31, 2020
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all.
Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
- Provides information about higher education generally and UC Berkeley specifically one-on-one and to groups.
- Counsel prospective applicants by phone, email, online, and in person about the MBA Program, admissions requirements and procedures, university standards of preparation for MBA study, recruitment events, and visiting Haas.
- Responds to inquiries from prospective students from diverse backgrounds regarding entrance requirements, application procedures, financial aid availability, housing alternatives, etc.
- Provides substantive information on admissions requirements, school/college programs and curricula, financial aid, housing, and career opportunities.
- Serves as a liaison between students, parents, college/universities, community agencies, and UC Berkeley college/school/department.
- Exercises professional judgment in reviewing, evaluating, and recommending applicants for admission using established guidelines.
Communications and Outreach
- Implements aspects of CRM systems to enhance recruitment and yield.
- In collaboration with Haas Technology Team (HCS) and Marketing & Communications Office, participate in the maintenance of technology systems including Slate, Zoom, Guidebook, SurveyMonkey, Eventbrite, and Hubspot.
- Develop and maintain data management guidelines to assess the needs of the department to enhance recruitment and yield.
- Exercises professional judgment in researching complex technology vendor concerns.
- Monitors all metrics related to email campaigns, including effectiveness, opt outs, hard bounces and other issues related to email list management.
Performs recruitment activities, including writing or editing materials, and representing the school/college/department at admissions events and other forums, including the following marketing activities:
- Manage the planning and execution of prospective student, applicant, and admitted student communication in consultation with supervisor and Admissions Committee.
- Enhances outreach to prospective and recent admits using social media tools such as Facebook and Linked In and other tools that expand the outreach to diverse communities.
- Maintain Admitted Student Slack Workspace.
- Design, implement, and analyze survey data and strengthen marketing efforts.
- Maintain and update the Full-time MBA prospective and new admit websites.
- Attend classes which will enhance expertise in job areas.
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate.
- Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service.
- Maintain knowledge of Full-time Admissions business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Other special projects as assigned.
- Knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
- The Ability learn and interpret policies and procedures to prospective applicants and the public.
- Working knowledge, or the ability learn, of academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs at UC Berkeley.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations and other institutions.
- Working knowledge of or the ability to learn, admissions requirements for campus/school/college
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse communities externally and within the organization, in order to present information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Familiarity or experience with Hubspot, Hobsons, Slate, or other CRM software.
- Familiarity or experience with web design programs such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, HTML coding, or video editing software.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly salary is commensurate with experience up to $31.61.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=4937&PostingSeq=1