Human Resources Assistant (7595U) 27428 - 1103
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 16, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Human Resources Assistant who will work within the department's Business & Finance unit.
This position assists with all general Human Resources and Payroll functions for the Athletics Department. This position exists to help in the transactional functions of HR and Payroll, including submitting updates to employee records, monitoring Payroll, coordinating hires, assisting employees with separating, and helping Athletics staff navigate University HR processes.
- Prepares and submits standardized payroll and HR requests/transactions, such as supervisor changes, employment contract changes, payment requests, coach performance bonus payments, etc. Review and monitor all requests for accuracy.
- Assist all internal units with the Campus recruitment and hiring process - preparing job descriptions, posting jobs on external websites, track recruitment process, assist in completion of hiring paperwork, submit all hire requests to Campus HR, create employment verification letters as needed.
- Initiate the separation process for employees - send tailored separation email, submit the separation request to Campus HR, assist employee in completion of all required separation steps, terminate them in all relevant internal databases.
- Serve as a resource for department staff for CalTime (online timekeeping system), including issues accessing the system, making correction to timecards, delegate requests, and setting up and auditing friendly names.
- Assist Director of HR with maintaining Athletic position management data through UC Path, including creation of new positions, setting up appropriate funding for positIons, and changing position information.
- Coordinate the on-boarding and completion of paperwork for all Athletics volunteers and affiliates. Submit all required paperwork to Regional Services for entry into UC Path.
- Prepares reports and analyses to include summaries of financial and payroll transactions, evaluation of current and proposed services, etc., for management review and decision-making. Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed. Conducts reconciliation of expenses to campus records. Monitors internal employee databases, including data entry, auditing, and reconciliation.
- Assist with processing of employment contracts, including collecting signatures, preparing contract cover sheets, and maintain department records. Serve as department back up for employment contract process, and may assist with drafting some employment contracts.
- Other duties as assigned, including professional development.
- Demonstrated human resources and payroll background/education or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience with budgets and financial reporting.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work within Microsoft Office suite.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal, active listening, and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills and ability to handle difficult situation and conversations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, deal with a heavy workload, and prioritize work.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent years experience and/or training.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and Kronos.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1103&PostingSeq=1