Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Labor Relations Representative (8079U), People & Culture - 8263
University of California Berkeley
Labor Relations Representative (8079U), People & Culture - 8263
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 19, 2020
People & Culture Strategies:
- Bring clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
- Use development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust, and better performance.
- Apply Berkeley brand to developing a shared enterprise contributor mindset among all employees.
CONTRACT & POLICY ADMINISTRATION :
Under limited supervision and with some independence handle moderately complex labor relations contract functions such as:
- Analyze, assess and handle HEERA requests for information and coordinate Public Records Act requests in a timely manner and within prescribed compliance guidelines;
- Determine need to provide notice to employee organizations, taking into consideration HEERA, past practice &/or University management for all contracts/Policy;
- Review requests from unions and work with designated ELR team members to ensure timely and appropriate response;
- Handle moderately complex grievances;
- Conduct workplace investigations as necessary;
- Administer and monitor job steward activity;
- Analyze proposed policy, process and work related changes to determine and effect notice requirements;
- Assess and respond to parameter requests, equity requests;
- Negotiate and draft settlements and MOUs;
- Participate in and provide support for labor-management committees;
- Conduct meetings with union officials and employees to address grievances and resolve concerns;
- Analyze reporting/tracking needs & develop mechanisms for executive level reporting;
- Assess current program to provide interpretive/trending analysis utilizing various technologies to create reports/identify trends;
- Provide research/recommendations in resolution of complex personnel matters.
- Independently initiate meet & confer/discuss meetings with union organizations, including analysis/assessment & identifying strategy to respond & to convey management's objectives;
- Collaborate with Compensation to conduct meetings with unions regarding comp. actions;
- Recommend solutions to address union challenges, provide logistical support, and independently assure monitoring of system-wide program announcements & ensure notice to local bargaining units; provide interpretation of Policy & labor contracts regarding rights of unions to access/represent employees & organizing strategies.
- Works in a collaborative manner with diverse entities across the organization.
RELATIONS W/EMPLOYEE UNIONS and CAMPUS BUSINESS PARTNERS:
- Maintain appropriate union/management and campus business partner relations through all forms of communication.
- Prepares various employee and labor relations related reports.
- Independently determine need to prepare original or customized communications to management & employees on bargaining, contract interpretation, accretion information, HR issues/updates, instructions for implementation of contract/policy provisions (both confidential/non-confidential communications), updated policies, process, and employee relations matters.
- Independently, and with support of the ELR Director and other ELR Consultants, respond to communications employee and labor relations inquiries.
- Facilitate collaboration with ELR Consultants to prepare post-bargaining session updates for management/supervisors, includes preparation of confidential details for Executive Director & Executive Management.
- Responsible for drafting response to union activity in collaboration with the LR Director and other ELR Consultants.
- Review and help maintain ELR website and content, including updating union contracts, policy manuals, posted staff department assignments, documents/links, etc.
- Ensures managers are in compliance with policies and contract provisions.
SPECIAL PROJECTS, TRAINING REPORTING:
- Independently or in collaboration with consultant, prepare briefing memos, instructional manuals, job aids, tool kits or conduct training to supervisors/managers regarding collective bargaining issues, employee relations issues, contracts & policy/contract compliance.
- Manage &/or support special research projects & assignments that require data collection, critical thinking, analysis, communication, & reporting.
- Assist in administrative, analytical & back-up support to other Employee and Labor Relations Representatives in the department.
- Under general supervision and some independence, the ELR 2 will use employee relations concepts and apply campus policies and procedures to resolve a variety of employee relations issues and situations such as workplace complaints and investigations; performance management; discipline; layoffs; settlements, separations, partner to process and resolve issues involving ADA, FMLA; ensure compliance with campus policy, procedures, past practice, state and federal laws;
- Works in collaboration with other functional areas of Human Resources, Regions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years of experience equivalent to an Employee and Labor Relations Consultant performing professional level human resources work requiring use of the knowledge and abilities listed herein.
- Demonstrates analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn campus policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of labor/employment law.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the principles of advocacy in order to represent the campus in various dispute forums.
- Demonstrates skills relating to bargaining strategies that will lead to desired outcomes for multiple entities.
- Knowledge of other areas of human resources.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Knowledge of employee relations practices and programs.
- Experience with Human Resources, Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining in a union environment.
- General knowledge of labor and employment laws, including but not limited to, National Labor Relations Act, California Labor Code, California Government Code, Fair Labor Standards Act, DFEH, EEOC, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, FFCRA, CFRA, ADEA, Title VII, etc., including recent developments and practices, applicability to the public sector.
- General knowledge of the Information Practices Act, Public Records Act or HEERA requirements for information release, including release of personnel type records, creation of data for bargaining.
- Demonstrated ability to write detailed, well organized, concise, analytical reports, procedures, web content and training documents.
- Demonstrated skill or ability to analyze labor relations information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures to define the problem or objective; identify relevant concerns, identity patterns and relationships, formulate logical and objective conclusions and recognize alternatives and their implications.
- Extensive organizational skills to independently manage and prioritize multiple tasks and priorities with conflicting deadlines.
- Experience in a customer service environment including skills to handle difficult and sensitive matters.
- Ability to work with a high degree of confidentiality and independent judgment.
- Strong Skill and ability to communicate with a high level of professionalism, clarity, accuracy.
- Ability to maintain a service focus in work assignments and convey that in all written, oral and electronic communications.
- Skills to independently manage, organize and prioritize work to achieve timely progress on simultaneous projects, distribute efforts appropriately among competing projects, meet deadlines, and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to actively listen, observe, identify information requested, ask questions to understand and appreciate diverse perspectives, interests, and underlying needs of others, responding appropriately to a wide variety of requests.
- Technical skill and ability to accurately utilize the Google business software, MS Office suite of business software application, Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Ability to learn, master and utilize other and new applications as they become available.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Knowledge of University of California System-wide personnel practices, policies, procedures and a wide variety of labor contracts and agreements; skill to apply policy and practices.
- Professional training in labor contract administration, employee relations and related law.
Licenses or certifications, if any:
- Prefer SHRM-CP or PHR certification.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8263&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |