Truck Driver (8553C) Facilities Services -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 10, 2019
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
The role of this position is to perform recycling and/or refuse collection duties following established practices and policies.
The position drives a rear loader packer truck and other class B vehicles; and collects refuse, recyclables or green waste on a specific route. Assist with loading and unloading refuse, recyclables, compost or green waste into/or from the packer truck, running the rear end controls on the packer truck, and stopping to collect materials placed within receptacles or the replacing the receptacles themselves throughout the campus and/or along the specified route. Drives the packer truck to and from landfill, the transfer station or recycling center or other designated sites. The position performs safety and maintenance inspections of trucks per a set schedule.
- Drives a rear loader packer truck or other class B vehicle and assists in the loading and unloading of recyclable material, green waste, garbage, etc. from trucks.
- Responsible for dumping trucks and collecting litter and empty receptacles.
- Delivers and collects receptacles.
- Operates loading and compacting controls on trucks.
- Cleans and lubricates pivot points on truck bodies.
- Inspects components and fluid levels for cab chassis, body and motors.
- Checks stress points for wear.
- Checks air pressure in tires and tires for wear.
- Recognizes and immediately reports problems and service needs to the lead or supervisor.
- Conducts truck safety inspections on a daily basis as required by the California Highway Patrol BIT Program.
- The employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions and using PPE (gloves, ear plugs, dust masks, hard toe shoes, uniforms).
- Keeps accurate records such as dump tag service requests, recharge numbers, and route lists.
- Paints, labels, and maintains containers and equipment as needed or directed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated skill and experience driving a packer truck and/or large Class B commercial trucks safely and in tight, confined areas.
- Knowledge and skill to perform vehicle maintenances and safety inspections.
- This position requires occasional overtime.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies, work weekends and on holidays.
- Ability to move up to 75-100 lbs. routinely.
- Requires working outdoors in fluctuating and/or extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to interpret and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively with co-workers, clients and the campus community.
Knowledge of principles of recycling and composting.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt position. Hourly rate of pay is set at step 1, $23.64
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
- Must possess a valid California class B commercial drivers license
- Must participate in the DMV Pull notice system and BIT program.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27184&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1