Shift: SUN-THU 1:15pm-9:45pm
Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community totaling 5100 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff and administrators.
RESIDENTIAL – THE RESIDENTIAL DINING CENTERS ARE OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK. WORKING WEEKENDS WILL BE EXPECTED.
What You'll Do
The Lead Food Service Steward will coordinate and oversee the stewarding work of General Workers, dish room workers and pot washers in the unit under the direction of management to ensure the housekeeping, cleaning and sanitation work of the unit is completed daily to departmental standards. The Lead FS Steward will be responsible for the following: cleaning and minor maintenance of a food service facility and all of its food service equipment and furnishings; dish room work including scraping, sorting, loading/unloading dish machine, and stocking wares in the dining room and kitchen areas, as well as the setup, break down and minor maintenance of the dish machine and pulper; floor care including sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, stripping, waxing floors and vacuuming and shampooing carpets; proper trash disposal and keeping trash receptacles clean, sanitary and operational; set up, cleaning, maintenance and sanitation of beverage and soft serve ice cream machines; the maintenance and organization of the unit's supply of cleaning chemicals and equipment; and for the overall general upkeep and sanitation of the unit. The Lead FS Steward will coordinate the set up and break down of furniture and equipment in the unit for regular operations as well as for special events including moving furniture and equipment. The Lead FS Steward may keep an inventory of furniture, equipment, cleaning chemicals and supplies, china and small wares, and report replacement and repair needs to management.
The Lead Food Service Steward will work closely with management, acting as a shift leader, coordinating the work of all food service employees (benefited, temporary and student) on assigned shifts. The Lead Food Service Steward will engage in job specific training and coaching of the General Assistance.
The Lead Food Service Steward will teach and coach service employees to work the various stations within the unit. Lead Food Service Steward will ensure all workstations and dining areas are properly cleaned and sanitized prior to closing out a shift. The LFSS will ensure all equipment and supplies are properly stocked at each station.
What We're Looking For
- 2-4 years of experience.
- HS Diploma or GED required.
- Must be able to speak and understand English.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- The qualified person will be a flexible, self-motivated, independent worker willing and able to learn and perform various custodial and sanitation tasks as needed.
- Previous experience as a steward, custodian, janitor or cleaner in a hotel, restaurant or hospitality institution is desired.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with management and staff in a clear and appropriate manner.
- Must be willing to assist in the unit in a variety of ways and have a friendly and helpful attitude.
- Handy with minor repairs and has experience with floor and carpet care.
- Tufts Dining is a hospitality-oriented service provider, all employees are expected to be customer service sensitive.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.