This position is responsible for coordinating the safety programs and safety training activities for various trades, maintenance and custodial related departments such as Facilities Operations and Residence Halls Facilities.
Incumbent will assist senior management, supervisors and workers on various health & safety related issues, and actively identify areas of risk and work towards their resolution.
Position must maintain consistent and regular visibility and involvement with daily operations, providing regular site visits and feedback related to worksite observations.
Incumbent will act as a liaison with units within University Facilities, as well as other campus departments relative to conformance with policies and procedures, including the collection and reporting of various health & safety data. Respond to requests for information, questions or assistance from Facilities staff on safety-related issues, equipment and training. Provide response for routine as well as emergency problems. Attend meetings and committee functions as applicable.
A summary of key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Training. Develop, implement and manage external and internal training related to EH&S programs / workplace safety. Training can include mock-ups or site visits to work locations.
- Policies and Procedures. Create, and maintain written policies and procedures related to facilities / trades health and safety programs required to be in compliance with state and federal regulations and campus standards.
- Safety Consultation and Problem Solving. Provide guidance on purchases of safety equipment and engineering controls. Conduct accident investigations for incidents involving Facilities Operations personnel or property.
- Shop Inspections. Conduct annual inspections of Facilities’ shops. This includes assisting with the identification of risks, development and implementation of corrective actions and performing follow-up inspections.
- Laboratory Safety. Support laboratory inspections and evaluations.
- Emergency Response. Assist with responses to emergency calls.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Valid NYS driver’s license or candidate must demonstrate capacity to meet the transportation requirements of the position.
Demonstrated knowledge in safety or environmental engineering.
Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
Experience in an academic and/or research environment.
Experience in providing safety and health training with the intent to reduce risk.
Must be medically cleared each year to wear a respirator and pass an annual medical physical, and be successfully fit-tested in a full face air purifying respirator. Must be able to lift 30 lbs.