Assistant Director, Exam Administration (4574U) 2623 - 2623
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 15, 2019
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier's office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Assistant Registrar of Exam Administration contributes to key operational endeavors related to online course exam administration. The role provides assistance to our students and colleagues in the completion of exam for our online courses, as well as acting as the primary project lead for the departmental migration to online proctoring.
- In collaboration with various other units of Extension, assists department director in optimizing various administrative processes related to online courses, enrollment services, student experience and exam administration to optimize operational efficiency to optimize student experience.
- Researches and reports alternative solutions related to online proctoring to ensure the integrity and viability of our student services related to exam and record administration.
- Drafts and clearly communicates proposed alternatives to Director and impacted other units.
- Ensures that proposed ideas meet UC, state and federal guidelines.
- Maintains all storage and recorded information related to the discover and implementation of online proctoring.
- Assists with the development and optimization of student service related reporting from various Extension platforms with support from Information Systems, LMS, other related platforms.
- Provides ongoing operational oversight to University Extension's online course exams.
- Ensures highest level of adherence to and execution of institutional rules and procedures.
- Monitors and tracks timely resolution of student, proctor and instructor issues related to online course exams.
- Serves as team lead for Student Services and trains all administrative support staff across Student Services, working with online course exams to promote excellent communication and process support to all affected parties.
- Regularly researches evolving trends, student service related technical innovations and opportunities, behaviors and engagements of other institutions, and creates reports to department director.
- Knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- High level of ease with computer application programs and platforms, including database query utilization and advanced level of comfort with office platforms, such as Google and Microsoft. .
- Ability to gain knowledge of University processes and procedures.
- Ability to gain understanding of University rules and regulations.
- Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to politely and effectively communicate with student, staff and instructors, both verbally and in writing.
- Skills in service orientation, active listening, critical thinking.
- Ability to multi-task, verbal communication, written communication, organization.
- Strong interest and evidenced background in optimizing efficiency using various platforms.
- Extremely sound and reasonable judgement in resolving issues, concerns and possible student conduct concerns or staff performance issues.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply complex student service policies, UC standards, Federal guidelines and other related rules or regulations.
- High level of evidenced integrity.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with CRM and Project management tools preferred
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is a 2-year, temporary (Contract) Appointment at 40-hours per week.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2623&PostingSeq=1