Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website .
What You'll Do
The Senior Systems Administrator will provide systems support for Windows and Linux based environments running in a centralized virtual environment with a configured Cisco UCS / VMware base running approx. 1,000 servers and growing. This position will develop plans for the evolution of Enterprise-wide services, such as authentication, collaboration services (MS Teams, Zoom) and desktop and server virtualization and look to evolving technologies to increase the services provided to improve the enterprise-based services. The successful candidate will also manage technical projects by providing technical plans and working cross functionally to create scalable service solutions, identify creative solutions that fit into the larger enterprise IT framework, and provide baseline performance reporting to measure service levels and identify areas for improvement. Additional duties include processing technical support tickets, generating/updating team documentation as required, and performing service checks for the deployed enterprise environment. Participate in off hours on call rotation.
Occasional evening or weekend work, as well as the ability to participate in a 24x7 on call rotation for major incident support activities.
The work designation for this position is remote. This position can be 100% remote but must have ability to get to campus within 2 hours for outage and emergency situations
What We're Looking For
• Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years of progressive Systems Administration in a complex, heterogeneous environment.
• Extensive knowledge of Windows and Linux systems administration and TCP/IP networking.
• Extensive knowledge of several of the following services: AD, LDAP, VDI, ADFS
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Office 365
• Extensive knowledge supporting enterprise email as a service (SMTP, EXIM, SPF, DKIM)
• Demonstrated success in planning and supporting an enterprise virtual infrastructure with experience implementing server and service solutions and introducing new technology to improve service offerings.
• Experience managing virtualization with VMware.
• Demonstrated high level of ability to work with scripting languages including PowerShell to efficiently manage the operation and maintenance of services.
• Assess new technology directions and define/document planned approach for proof of concept exercises and plans for implementation within the infrastructure environment.
• Document plans for technical projects to outline steps for implementation and validation testing as it pertains to the technical activity required from the systems teams.
• Develops, documents, and promotes standard operating procedures.
• Experience supporting enterprise services in an academic environment.
• Experience in systems evolution and change in a service-based environment.
• Working knowledge of Cisco UCS knowledge of Cisco, F5 Load Balancers, and Juniper / Cisco firewalls Or equivalent technologies.