Plans, organizes, and manages the operations and activities of major construction projects within the District. Oversees and coordinates construction, reconstruction, alteration, relocation, and other bond measure projects. Provides advice on architectural and engineering design and construction planning, proposals, and projects.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Program Manager for Measure M is a specialized position leading and providing District-wide services that contribute to awarded bond construction and long term utility of facilities, and supporting infrastructure. The Program Manager develops and implements short-and-long-range plans and strategies to meet the District's goals and standards of construction commensurate with the long range master plan and bond funding to provide an optimum physical environment for staff, students and the community. The Program Manager works extensively with community planners, architects, engineers and construction management firms for initiating and managing multiple projects of significant magnitude. The Program Manager oversees professionals and technicians who provide a variety of services that monitor cost-effective utilization bond construction funds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, analyzes, and provides oversight for the design and specification, and schedules the construction, modernization, and replacement of campus facilities and infrastructure systems that support the District's bond measure master plans.
* Confers with District and campus administrators about the building construction projects and projected logistics for vacating and relocating existing facilities, the environmental considerations, and timing of eventual occupancy.
* Participates in preparing requests-for-proposal for projects by reviewing and interpreting architectural/engineering drawings, constructability, and compliance with District standards in order to write the bid specifications for construction.
* Prepares detailed specifications, instructions, interpretations, and consults with bidders for response to special environmental structural, civil, electrical, mechanical, and infrastructure requirements and specifications.
* Attends and conducts conferences, pre-bid walks and pre-construction meetings with contractors to explain and clarify construction features, contract requirements and document submittal policies. Participates in prequalification of contractors.
* Studies and evaluates the scope, phases, costs, and caveats contained in contractor and consultant proposals. Reviews bidder information and documents, including proposed schedules and milestones, and verifies and makes recommendations on bid awards.
* Develops and sequences plan phases for projects, check-in, milestones, and recommends amendments to plans to maximize the success of projects. Ensure projects are delivered in an effective, timely and responsible manner and are in compliance with District standards, applicable State laws, codes, standards, and regulations.
* Serves as liaison between District functions and resources, construction personnel and State agencies such as and not limited to, the Division of the State Architect, for continuous communications, feedback, and reporting during the design, construction, and warranty phases of projects.
* Closes out completed bond improvement projects and the transition from project delivery to commissioning and campus operations. Coordinates operational training, warranty repairs, and adjustments.
* Reviews and audits contractor claims, requests, and schedules, and provides feedback and recommended actions. Resolves issues on a timely basis and interfaces with contractors, consultants, and other professionals to resolve disputes through proper communications, negotiation, and contract conformance reviews.
* Prepares and maintains thorough and up-to-date records for all projects, including plans, specifications, change orders, and other details to be archived.
* Provides technical advice to the Director and District-wide committees relating to bond measure improvement projects.
* Establishes standards, trains, supervises, and reviews work of assigned staff to accomplish the departmental, bond measure, and master plan objectives.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.