Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Executive Assistant, Office of the Vice President of Advancement
Located in the heart of Boston, Simmons University embodies the benefits of a small university in the nation's best college town. Simmons has a cherished history of visionary thinking and social responsibility and a mission that has remained constant for over a century: to provide transformative learning that links passion with lifelong purpose.
Today, Simmons serves nearly 2,000 students in a women-centered undergraduate program and nearly 5,000 students in coeducational graduate programs. Simmons recently embarked on an academic redesign to create four interdisciplinary colleges. Given the richness and complexity of its offerings, Simmons obtained formal approval and became Simmons University effective September 1, 2018.
The Executive Assistant will provide organizational and administrative support of a confidential nature to the Office of the Vice President (VP). The Executive Assistant will anticipate the needs of the VP with respect to the college's fundraising efforts, interaction and keen customer service with the highest level donors, Board of Trustees and alumnae/i. The Executive Assistant will act as liaison with internal colleagues and external partners, while promoting a culture of inclusion and responsiveness through customer-centric support. This position requires keen interpersonal skills and exceptional judgment to facilitate collaboration and communication among diverse groups while exercising discretion and judgment with respect to confidential employee relations and related confidential documentation.
This highly visible role is critical to the function and success of the Advancement office, and is relied upon for guidance regarding university standards with respect to schedules, correspondence, policies, guidelines, budget and operating costs within the division. The Executive Assistant will serve as the first point of contact for all inquiries and will support calendar coordination, event and meeting preparation, data maintenance, and day-to-day operations.
The ideal candidate will maintain a strong customer focus, foster mutual respect, support Simmons College's commitment to diversity, practice and promote teamwork, perform independently, maintain confidentiality, adhere to high standards of personal conduct and maintain and enhance professional/job competency.
Provide proactive and independent support to the Office of the Vice President including:
Administrative Operations & Projects
- Demonstrate an understanding of Simmons' mission and how it is supported by the goals of Advancement;
- Assist senior team with staffing processes, procedures and best practices;
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of the Advancement operating budget;
- Assist staff members overseeing operating costs and budgets;
- Management of staff Performance Evaluation process;
- Serve as a reliable resource to prospects, donors, volunteers, internal and external VIPs and Advancement colleagues on routine matters and/or in the absence of the VP, including college-wide activities, to best represent the standards and priorities of the institution for all constituent contacts;
- Collaborate effectively with peers across the College to assist VP in interfacing with deans, vice presidents, college presidents, and other key partners;
- Maintain awareness of all projects and active prospect/donor relationships on which VP is working;
- Coordinate any projects requiring the division's administrative resources;
- Oversee office management functions and responsible for day-to-day operations functions;
- When needed, deliver training, orientation and procedural information to new division employees.
- Oversee complex scheduling of VP's calendar, using judgment to prioritize and commit leadership time for meetings, appointments and travel based on an in-depth understanding of the office's priorities and needs, providing prompts for meeting timelines and deadlines;
- Coordinate meeting logistics including location reservations, catering and equipment;
- Draft and distribute meeting agendas; attend meetings and take meeting minutes as requested; prepare meeting materials and presentations when requested:
- Schedule and prepare for donor visits and travel to include travel itineraries and visit briefings;
- Maintain a high level of organization and assist the VP in maintaining a high level of organization;
- Execute all administrative facets of budget procedues, including preparation of purchase orders, processing invoices, expense reports, ordering supplies, record and database maintenance requests and basic bookkeeping;
- Assist with staffing key division events when assigned;
- Maintain accurate contact lists.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Office of the VP for internal and external constituencies;
- Coordinate communications from the Office of the VP;
- Respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries in a timely, professional and respectful manner, while making autonomous, accurate, and swift judgments to triage all types of inquiries;
- Responsible for sorting and distributing incoming correspondence, including mail, faxes, and email;
- May assist draft and/or proofread emails, letters, reports, or other documents and correspondence as needed;
- Manage information flow to and from the VP in an effort to streamline communication; read, research, and route correspondence and inquiries with an eye toward conserving VP's time;
- Enter contact reports and manage tracking of the VP's, the College President's, and the Deans' external contacts in a division-wide alumni database, Raiser's Edge.
Required Technical Skills
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Intermediate proficiency with Adobe Suites;
- Experience with Raiser's Edge is a plus but not required;
- Three to five years of professional experience; relative administrative or executive assistant experience preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading;
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects;
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality;
- Proven ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy and tact;
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadlines;
- Experience with accounting practices for budgetary responsibilities;
- Prior experience in higher education administration a plus but not required.
- Time Management
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
This is a 40-hour/week position Monday through Friday; work may include occasional night or weekend on an as needed.
Instructions to Applicants
: Please submit a resume and cover letter in the Resume/CV section of your application.
Simmons is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a University committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, Simmons welcomes and encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Executive-Assistant--Office-of-the-Vice-President-of-Advancement_R05459
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |