Junior HR Partner (7595U), BEST Region- 13822
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 20, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) "service regions" that provide high-quality administrative support to their groupings of schools, colleges and departments.
The BEST (Biological, Environmental, Science & Technology) Region serves the College of Natural Resources, the Division of Biological Sciences in the College of Letters and Science, and related ORUs, museums, and field stations in the biological sciences. HR/APS supports hiring, appointments, separations, classification and compensation, performance management, payroll and timekeeping, and other HR activities in coordination with its partners in other teams across the UC Berkeley campus and the UCPath Center in Riverside, CA.
This position involves recommending, developing, implementing, administering, coordinating, and/or evaluating Human Resources policies, labor contracts, statutes, programs and procedures. Independently performs a variety of HR tasks with frequently changing and competing priorities. Coordinates and brings to closure all phases of academic recruitments and selection process including managing job postings; screens applicants; closes out recruitment requisitions in AP Recruit and Search, and prepares job offer letters. Provides analyses for human resources issues that are intermediate in scope involving employee benefits, and coordinates employee benefits orientation sessions. Coordinates student hiring for Graduate Student Researchers, Undergraduate Assistants, and Workstudy. Provides project support for CSS HR managers and HR Generalist 3 and 4 staff and may provide service to a small client constituent. Manages personnel and medical records. Coordinates HR processes within the CSS and looks for creative possibilities for continuous improvement of day-to-day operations of the Center.
Furthermore this position is intended as a learning opportunit to expose (under general supervision) the HR Generalist 2 level to higher level to prepare them for the nexct level in the job category:
- Manages the overall appointment process of Graduate Student Researchers (GSR), Student Assistant positions, and Training Grant Appointments, including initiation of recruitment, hire, rehire, transfer, and termination actions.
- Serves as the liaison for personnel matters with the Student Affairs Officers, Graduate Division, International Scholars Office, Student Placement, Work-Study Office, Human Resources and Payroll Office.
- Provides tax guidance to foreign employees using GLACIER tax reporting system.
- Handles GSR fellowships, stipends and fee remission eligibility and monitor when applicable.
- Examines work-study funding and notify unit managers and supervisors of depleting work-study funds.
- Under general supervision provides advice and counsel to client groups according to established human resources policies and procedures and prioritizes work assignments.
- Conducts HR trends analyses and helps develop resulting recommendation and manages sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interacts with client groups.
- Under general supervision of a higher level HR Partner, HR Team Lead, or HR Supervisor the incumbent assists with recruitment cycles for a full rage of staff and non-senate academic positions, including development and classification of the job description and salary analyses and salary setting.
- Under general supervision of a higher level HR Partner, HR Team Lead, or HR Supervisor the incumbent assists in advising managers, supervisors, and employees in managing disability, leaves of absence and employee performance; interpreting and applying personnel policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to gain knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of human resources policies and programs and ability to gain knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service in a high-volume, fast-paced, professional environment.
- Demonstrated skill in prioritizing competing work assignments and timelines.
- Has analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrates organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training equal to 2-4 years of experience in human resources.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn UC Berkeley's Human Resources Management System (HRMS) and other related business software programs and systems.
- Ability to learn or experience with UC Berkeley on-line systems including HRMS, BAIRS, BIS, DSAS, PageCenter, and GLACIER
- Work experience in shared service environment especially in higher education.
Licenses or certifications, if any:
- PHR certification or professional HR Certificate is desired.
Salary & Benefits
This is an non exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $26.53- $33.49
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=13822&PostingSeq=1